How to connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

How would you connect a door bell transformer to the mains?

Reply to
Michael Chare

RTFM.

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

1mm cable to fused connection unit with 3A fuse.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Mine goes directly into the CU to a 6A breaker, the transformer is protected by its own 1A fuse. It can't be very efficient, I could replace it with a socket and a plug-in SMPS, I've plenty of 12V 2A units for CCTV/LED ribbon lighting.

Reply to
Graham.

Lot to be said for batteries in conventional doorbells. The usage pattern means that they last for years and years and years and years.... Seriously, hardly seems worth the bother and extra wiring involved unless you want a light up bell push.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You don't. You buy a wireless one.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

There's perhaps something to be said for having a 13A socket near the CU. Should be an unfused spur if not on its own breaker of course. I have one which the damp-proof people put in to power their active DPC may years ago (required by the bank for the mortgage, for all the good it ever did). But it has been handy over the years for soldering irons, hot air guns, and lead lights when I have needed to do something in that area. I put a spare double socket next to the water tanks in the loft for much the same reason, which came in handy when I added a brace of Stuart Turners.

Reply to
newshound

If you have to ask, the answer must be "with great care"

Reply to
no_spam

the question is too vague... the op must be quite clueless

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or a direct connection to a lighting circuit. If handy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More milk tibbles?

Reply to
John Rumm

yum

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Argh! Yes, we have a wireless door bell which is filed under U for Useless. The signal will not pass our granite walls. The only way to use it is to have the bell so close to the door we could hear someone outside without the poxy bell!

Reply to
News

I would use one or more slender, stringlike pieces or filaments of relatively rigid or flexible metal, circular in section, woven or twisted together and insulated with a dielectric material.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So no use of (additional) ceramics then.

Reply to
Michael Chare

What kind of question is that. I'm tempted to suggest RTFM! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I've always fancied one of those mechanical door bells you used to see in UpstairsDownstairs with brass plungers and bits of string and pulleys and stuff. I wonder if anyone makes them? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Unfortunately I don't have a copy handy.

Reply to
Michael Chare

If only someone would invent a way of searching the Internet... ;-)

Try this site.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No pulleys. Where do you suppose the term "bell crank" comes from?

harry