How to clean 'rust?' from stainless steel radiator?

Hi,

In the bathroom we have a stainless steel radiator which seems to accumulate rust spots over time. What is the best liquid or material to clean this with?

Some examples of the markings here:

for any pointers

zeebop

Reply to
zeebop

Looks more like chrome plate steel, in which case the rust is due to the chrome plate failing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Umm...

I don't think that it's stainless steel.

Do the spots appear in the same places and is there pitting?

The radiator appears to be a plated one and so your options are limited to painting it, getting it replated or replacing it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

move it away from the toilet as urine is great for rusting most metals

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks very much for the fast responses and advice. I'm sure it must be the chrome plated type as advised.

I've just tried rubbing a wet cloth across it, and it comes up very well, so my description of rust spots was misleading. I'm going to see how well it comes up by cleaning normally.

Reply to
zeebop

I suppose that another thing that you could try is to use some kind of rust inhibitor liquid - clear one - carefully dabbed into the pits and wiped carefully. This may at least hold the rust back from developing to some degree but won't hide the marks.

Reply to
Andy Hall

you can clean rust off chrome pretty well as the rust spreads from teeny holes that don't show..until the pitting under the plating causes massive chunks to fall off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Could try Autosol for cleaning car chrome ???

Reply to
NOSPAMnet