How to clean gunge of a chip fryer?

I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Reply to
Fredxx

A soak in caustic soda solution might do it...

Reply to
John Rumm

Soak it for a couple of days in a strong solution of dishwasher powder, fantastic stuff!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Personally I've found normal biological washing powder/liquid to be sufficient to shift most fatty / oily gunk

Soak the item in hot water + washing powder for 10-15 minutes first, then scrape the gunk off, dipping the item back in the water as you go.

Once clean probably give it one more run in the dishwasher or hand wash with normal washing up liquid to get rid of any residue from the washing powder/liquid.

I'd recommend wearing rubber gloves as it allows you to have the water a little hotter and protects your hands.

YMMV

Simon

Reply to
Simon

There are commercial pan-cleaner products, they appear to be the same stuff as paint-stripper.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But not recommended if it is made from aluminium.

Reply to
Andrew May

Fredxx ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.com) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January 2011 12:33:

You *might* find IPA (isopropyl alcohol) will shift it.

I find it shifts a surprising amount of kitchen films without damaging plastics (yet).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Caked-on oil is similar to varnish, so Nitromors is worth a try. On the other hand, why bother? If it doesn't adversely affect the frying, just leave it alone.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

+1
Reply to
Toby

In article , Fredxx writes

Mr Muscle oven cleaner will do it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Still works. Does a nice etch job on the surface.

Polish with wire wool afterwards

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of the more exepensive ways to buy caustic soda, yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chuck it on the bonfire. I did this successfully with our chip pan for years (after removing the plastic handle). Unfortunately I didn't realise just how low the melting point of aluminium was. We don't have a chip pan any more. I still do it with baking sheets and trays, though.

Reply to
Huge

Frank Erskine ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January

2011 15:30:

Oxycet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah, I did that and the light grey finish of the chip pan turned black.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Many thanks for all the suggestions. One thing I do have at hand is washing powder, so with a little disassembly it's all gone into the sink for a long soak.

Any gunge underwater has become more of an emulsion. It'll be left there for a while, given a mechanical scrub and then into the dishwasher!!

I don't have any caustic soda at hand, but will consider it for the plastic items next time, assuming H&S haven't banned it yet?

Reply to
Fredxx

On a gas hob, it will make the pan very slipy and dangerous.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've been told this last weekend that your local Cleaneeze rep sells a very effective oven cleaner gel

Reply to
Dave