How to clean grill and oven racks?

Is there an effective way to clean oven racks when they can't be soaked? These are "pull out" racks with ball bearing runners on them so soaking them in the dishwasher*, would obviously degrease and ruin them. There are not too bad yet ;)

Are the "brass" grill brushes etc any good? The oven itself is pyrolytic so I haven't any harsh "oven" chemicals to hand - not averse to using them though if effective. Any recommendations for brush on gel types?

Lee

*Does a good job softening the build up which can then be removed easily in the sink with a plastic scourer ;)
Reply to
Lee

Elbow grease and harsh chemicals. Get the wife to do it if you can, it's a horrible job.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

wire wool and elbow grease.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's why they now need cleaning properly... ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Gel based oven cleaner "Oven Pride" really works well, and comes with a large zip-loc type back to put the racks in, to stop it drying out while it is "soaking"

Reply to
Toby

Doesn't this scratch them though so they become progressively more difficult to clean?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I don't know how it would affect the rollers but I put them in a sealed bin bag with a small bowl of household ammonia. Leave overnight then wash. Use a scouring pad but it does not need too much elbow grease.

Reply to
Andrew May

Found the Lidl steel wool scourer things (actually rather coarser than wool) very effective for any recalcitrant bits - after an overnight slathered with oven cleaner in a bin bag.

Reply to
polygonum