How to Choose Energy Saving Light Bulbs..??

Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the specifications and/or brands to look out for when choosing energy saving light bulbs?

Or if anyone has any suggestions of low price retailers of energy saving light bulbs?

Or any other info about them... Thank you!

Reply to
ted123

Morrisons are selling Philips 60W & 100W equivalents for 49p a go IIRC.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Thanks - is that for energy saving light bulbs?

I thought they were a lot more expensive than that...

Reply to
ted123

Yes they are energy saving - from memory the 60W equivalent are around

11W and the 100W equivalent around 16W. In my semi-local store there are a random mixture of BC & ES on the shelves, just something to be aware of.
Reply to
airsmoothed

On 3 May 2006 06:19:42 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote this:-

Use a search engine, on this group and more widely, instead of expecting to be spoon-fed. They were discussed a few days ago.

Reply to
David Hansen

fwiw I had a couple of philps and didnt like them, Osram I've had good results with. Equivalent power is at best 4x, so ignore the wattage equivalent nonsense on the pack.

And stay well away from cheapie =A31 jobs. Whatevcer you use will save you the cost of the bulb several times over, so its ok to get 1 of each of a few brands if youre new to them. Some are excellent, some so-so, some borderline, and the =A31 halophosphate jobs are dire.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
ted123

Sorry dear...PMT...?

Reply to
ted123

Personally, I quite like the Morrisons 49p philps ones.

I've installed 20 as garage lights, on a wire, along the middle of a

20*4m room. Works well, and is a hell of a lot brighter and saves energy over the other choice, which was 2*500W floodlights.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

On 3 May 2006 07:20:52 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com wrote this:-

Nice try. Now get off your fat backside and do some work for yourself, instead of expecting others to do it for you.

Baby birds sit on their backsides, squawking and expecting mummy or daddy bird to stuff worms down their throat.

Reply to
David Hansen

you've got a 20m garage? That would explain a lot, all the things you get upto :)

But I still havent figured out why you were running a several foot long fl tube at 1uA!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Err, typo. Well, thinko. It's more like 10.

To measure the V/I curve of the discharge. It was quite pretty in the dark, a moon-like glow.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That is a good sized garage.

How do these things cope in the cold?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In message , snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com writes

Ditto Morrisons here. 99p each but on a bogof offer. Philips brand. As near instant start as any CFL lamps I've used, although usual few minute warm up to full brightness.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Indeed - I meant 12*4

A bit slow to warm up. But then, because they were so cheap, I've put in about double the wattage that I really 'need', so to get up to half 'normal' brightness isn't bad at all. (based on one test with one inthe fridge)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's *still* a good-sized garage!

So they will start OK, unlike (seemingly) my 4' or 5' tubes?

That's nice & thorough. What about sub-zero, I wonder?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I've stuck one in the freezer. Will post in an hour.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

First bulb - 1/2 hour in freezer. Starts instantly, quite dim for first 10 seconds, then it rapidly warms up towards normal brightness. I would estimate that a 20W bulb is equivalent to the initial output of a 11W bulb at room temperature 15 seconds in.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I've got the blighters all over the house. Only ever had to return one 'cos it didn't work at all. Watch out for some of the real cheapies - they can produce a bluish light that actually induced nausea.

Great for middle of the night swap-outs if someone in the house is likely to get a hangover...

Reply to
Taz

That's very useful, thanks for the results!

Reply to
Chris Bacon