How to check mains pressure...

Hi

For our rebuild I want to use a main pressure h/w system.

I gather I'll need at least 2.5bar & 35ltrs/min from the cold main. The water utility want 80 quid to test the pressure as they only guarantee 1bar ;-(

I can obvously meause the 35ltrs/min bit, but is there an easy way to measure the main pressure?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Deblis

You can buy a pressure tester from places like Screwfix.

To be honest though it's irrelevant because if you are getting 30 litres/min + from the kitchen cold tap the pressure will be ample.

There is little point in testing it statically because it drops as soon as you turn on a tap anyway.

By testing flow at the kitchen tap you will know what the main can deliver then the rest is a matter of internal plumbing. You may need to upgrade internal pipework to 22mm from 15mm for example.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can attach a pressure meter. However, the flow rate is the critical bit. Basically, if there's enough push to get the flow rate, then it will be fine. BTW, 35lpm is only just OK for a mains pressure system (except instantaneous combi). More would be better.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've got mains fed HW, the pressure limiter is 1bar and the flow through 15mm pipework round several right angles is still about 10 l/m through the shower head which is just fine. Way better than every gravity fed or combi system I've ever experienced.

Bottom line - I agree if you're getting 30/l then all will be fine.

Reply to
adder

Assuming you have a tyre pressure guage. Take a 2l plastic bottle, and an old tyre valve. Cut a hole in the lid to just accept a hosepipe, which goes into the bottle, just a bit.

Cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle, and wedge the tyre valve in there. Some sealant might not be a bad idea. Attatch tyre guage to valve, and slowly turn on mains.

Reply to
Ian Stirling