How to blow a fuse?

Page 1 of 2
Odd question - how do I blow a fuse without burning down my house?
I need a blown plug fuse for something and I don't have one (I always throw them away if they blow). how do I made a good one into a bad one? Without sticking 240V across it?
spog

Sticking 240v across them is how they often blow. Nothing terrible happens.
Come on, what for?

This reminds me of a students design for a fuse tester. Bung it across the mains, if it blows it was a good one ;)

Or the solar powered torch with no battery. :-))
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

spamguard@_spam_guard.com says...

In a similar vein, what are these 'wind-up, solar-powered radios' that Radio 2 keep giving away on Popmaster? Which are they?

LOL !!! :-))

These were originally developed/marketed for use in developing countries where there is no reliable electricity supply and where batteries are also scarce. Not a gimmick in such situations.
--
dave @ stejonda

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 07:15:08 UTC, "dave @ stejonda"

I'm perfectly aware of that. But:
a) This is a very different model to the ruggedised versions originally developed.
b) I was referring to the solar panel, not the radio as a whole.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

so sorry - I'll go back in the cupboard
--
dave @ stejonda

bothered to wind it up.... AND it's got a led to tell you that you're tuned in, which Ill get around to dissing one day
mike r
spog wrote:

Why not stick 240v across it the
Actually, use some jump leads and a car battery. With luck it won't explode and take your eye out :-)

real problem with glass fuses for PCs etc, but ceramics...
He also used to log customer problem reports on the PC under Mr or Mrs rather than the surname. Took me forever to find Mary Jones, who turned out to be a doctor!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
TimM wrote:

Did anyone come up with the correct and safest way to blow a fuse?
If it's 5 amp, put it in the kettle plug and try to make a nice cup of tea.
If 13 amp, put it in a 4-way extension and boil several kettles.
Roger.
On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:08:14 +0100, Old Fart at Play

I should have mentioned that it will need to be a 13A fuse as it's supposed to have come from a kettle.
A lot of useful/insane replies - thanks guys n gals. I have learnt why there are so many DIY injuries every year!
It was in the back of my mind that heating the fue would cause the fuse wire to melt - maybe wrap it in tinfoil and heat it with a blowlamp? (That way, we get to use fire - always a source of fun!).
Without trying to jump start myself, I think I'll try the above suggestion. Can anyone lend me a few kettles for a day?
spog

car battery, preferably out of the car and in the open somewhere if you're being really paranoid.

spog wrote:

Hello Spog,
Well, in a rather dreadful hotel with a radio in the next room, empty and locked, at 0600 on a Sunday morning I put my nailfile across the earth and live pins of a 13A plug and switched the socket on - it took out the ringmain fuse beautifully and not a mark on the nailfile!
--
Regards Ant

* ps - Don't let the EU rule Brittannia! *
On 16 Sep 2003 05:45:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abdullah Eyles) wrote:

Might be worthwhile knocking up a plug with them already connected together with some hefty cable, to take away on trips. Can then be used on switchless sockets.
MJ

Actually, I'd probably just take it round to the brothel next door. Don't expect they'd charge much to blow a tiny fsuse.
Anyway, why did the OP *want* a blown fuse? Or wasn't he saying?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Really? Ohmygod.....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Just sold a B&D hover mower on eBay since I've now got no grass left - thank god. It was used about half a dozen times to cut a postage stamp sized lawn. Got all of 1.20 for it. ;-) Lose some win some...
--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.