how to bend a piece of metal?

I have a piece of aluminium approx 6" x 4" that I want to bend into a 1.75" (approx) diameter (sorry my brain isnt metric) so curving the 6" length It is stiff, maybe 1mm possibly 1.5mm thick. but still bendable. It doesnt have to be perfect but looking to get reasonable.

How best to attempt this, I have no bending type tools as such but have a vice and usual DIY tools.

Any thoughts on this before I start?

thanks

Reply to
SS

You didn't say what angle you want to bend it through. 45 deg? 90 deg? 360 deg? It makes a difference.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

First, where did you get this metal from and do you know what it's spec is? L37, L72, or L73 etc? Some of the harder Al can crystallise when it is bent and fracture soon after.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Havent a clue of the spec, just a small sheet I had lurking around. It appears to bend ok without fracturing.(tried on waste piece) I am trying to achieve a circle, its to cover a pipe.

Reply to
SS

Make wooden circle former fractionally smaller, or use a glass/plastic item. Bend ali over it using a block fo wood to press it down as you go, thus getting a smooth even bend.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Can't you manually start to bend it around the actual pipe then maybe use a strap wrench?

Reply to
brass monkey

No I am in uk, pipe in Turkey so working to measurements taken when last there.

Reply to
SS

You need a vice and some pipe or hard wood of the same diameter (or a bit smaller) as you want the bend to be,.

You need to put the pipe and the metal in the vice with pipe horizontal and right at the top of the jaws and the edge of the metal only just trapped btween the jaw and the pipe. You can bend the metal over the pipe with a hammer and block of wood. If the metal is longer then the vice jaws you will need an additional bit of metal (ideally angle steel) to "extend" the vice jaws. You can bend about 90degrees this way. If you need to go further you will need to release the vice and rotate the metal and get a fresh "bite" & repeat the operation.

Thanks all, the replies make sense and will give it a go. It doesnt need to be perfect so I should manage.

Thank you

Reply to
SS

I would anneal the aluminium first. Rub one side with a bar of soap. And heat with a gas torch until the soap turn black. Don't quench, leave to air cool.

Baz

Reply to
Baz

If it doesn't work..

dennis

Start by annealing it. Wipe it with a bit of liquid soap, stick it on the cooker (gas or electric) and toast it until the soap blackens. Then leave to cool (it's not fussy).

After that, it should bend by hand force around a suitable broomhandle or such.

If you have to hit it, use a rubber mallet (or piece of firewood), not a steel hammer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

open a can of Strongbow or similar. Drink contents.

slice off top and bottom and hey presto, you have an aluminium tube about 6 inches by 1.8 inches

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks all got a decent job done with all your recommendations.

Oh! and phil I had a can when I finished the job to celebrate. :-)

Reply to
SS