how to become an electrician/ plumber

Hi all I'm 24 and left a job in computers a few months back. I've had time to think and realise I want to eventually develop properties, however I know it's not easy, and it's best to learn a trade first. My question is what are my options? What is the route into becoming a plumber or an electrician? I can afford to study full time if required, with a part time job. Would it be best to try and find a professional willing to train me, or should I go through the college route? I will be 25 soon (before September) so will be too old for a modern apprenticeship Any advice welcomed

Reply to
beno

Contact your local college. You will not find many decent companies willing to train you now. Apprenticeships in the 80's were good, but they don't exist now as the employer couldn't make any money from the Government. It meant employers investing and hoping someone would stay with them. Then we had the YTS in the 90's which made companies a lot in backhanders and hardly anyone got decent employment from them. I wouldn't bother with property developing, it's not as easy as all the five minute fix type programmes show on TV. Everyone is at it and there isn't a lot of money in it now. It sounds like you have no finances anyway, so how would you get a motrgage, loan or even have a bank or building society take you seriously. Do you have any experience of business apart from maybe working for someone else were your wage is guaranteed? More difficult than you think. Stick to the college.

Reply to
Mal