how to attach shower hose on concealed shower..

More basic stuff I'm afraid. I've bought a new shower valve, my problem is that the kit only includes the wall union elbow -the bit the hose attaches to on the outside of the wall!. I want the valve to be concealed obviously, whats the best method of connecting the valve to the wall union elbow?

What are the correct fittings to use? I thought a tap connector to some

15mm pipe and then a male ef coupler - is that nearly right???!!!

Any help would be gratefully recieved. cheers, Olly the novice

Reply to
Olly D

Yep. More or less.

From memory most showers come with female screw to 15mm compression elbows for the snaky bit, and probably some sort of female threaded bit on the actual mixer.

Best is to take the lot to the plumbers merchants, and get some male BSP to compressions, and fake the middle bit with 15mm pipework.

Use LOTS of PTFE tape on the threaded stuff, and support pipework WELL - don;t rely on the facing tiles for support, especially with fixed head showers. and seal all around where the shower snake bit sticks through with silicone..had a nasty leak there on one shower..water ran down the wall and then trickled *into* the wall at that point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Use a 15mm wall plate elbow

- you can firmly attach it in place that way. Then use 15mm pipe from the compression nut to the shower valve. I usually use a 15mm to 1/2 inch male to male coupler on the valve , but have also used a pushfit connection (1/2in male to 15mm pushfit). It can be tricky getting the wall plate elbow at exactly the right depth - sometimes it helps to use a

without the compression nut to extend it.

Lots of PTFE as always.

auctions

I think I understand what you are saying. My mixer has a male thread for the hose - so is this going to be my correct sequence :

Female Iron Coupler 15mm=D7=BD" onto shower mixer hose outlet, 15mm pipe to elbow, then what? - Brass Hexagon Nipple

into wall union elbow on the tiled surface?
Sorry for being slow! Also is the fernox sealing stuff good enough to use instead of ptfe tape?

many thanks again.

- As a side note, mentioned in another thread - I'm comfortable using end feed, having never done a compression, I'm a bit wary in doing all this and sealing it behind a tiled wall. Do you know of a correct fitting to replace the compression elbows on the mixer? It looks like a 22mm one one side, 15mm obviously to pipe. Is there a

22mm tap connector with 15mm end? or should I just go ahead and experiment with compression
Reply to
Olly D

Any further help would be very much appreciated so I can nip to Plumb Center before closing!

Reply to
Olly D