how to assemble an rj45 connector?

someone describe how to put one of these things together? I have the crimp tool need and have made up a few that work fine - but I've a feeling it's a "hack"? How should the connector be properly assembled? I think the sloping parts are the key :-)

ps I know buying a made-up lead is easier... mmm

Reply to
dave

dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi,

I've used these (or something very much like them).

Prepare UTP cable in the usual way.

Keeping the twists as far as possible, arrange the 8 conductors in the correct order in the little 8-hole comb. Push conductors in just far enough so end of conductors are flush with the end of the comb. You can, if it helps, push the conductors a little further though, snip off with cutters so they are all the same length, then pull back flush.

Insert comb into plug and keep pushing until all the conductors reach the end of the plug as far as they will go. Make sure none fall short.

Crimp.

The comb is there to keep the conductors aligned in the right order until you insert it into the plug, then the conductors should push through easily into the crimpways.

Sometimes to comb will bind on the twists[1] - rotate the cable slightly clockwise and anticlockwise to work the twists back down the cable - generally does it for me. Needs a little practise but I find these easier than "normal" RJ45 plugs.

[1] if, in order to align the pairs in the right order, you have a choice of twist 180 degrees or untwist 180 degrees, choose "untwist".

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

In article , dave writes

In addition to Tim's reply., it's also important to get the wire colours in the right order. You do not just fit the plug with colour/colour+white-band pairs together.

I assume you're using Ethernet, in which case you need to use the T568B wiring scheme:

orange + white orange green + white blue blue + white green brown + white brown

orange+white is pin 1 and this goes to the left-most pin, looking down at the connector with the pins facing upward.

Mike Tomlinson

I've never seen one of these connectors come in 3-parts before.. Maybe I always buy posh ones!

These are the plugs I buy:

this:

you how to connect the wires into them...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson