How to "antique" a brass handle?

I have an antique dresser, with several 3.5in "swan neck" bail pull handles missing.

I can't locate anyone selling these in "antiqued" brass, but have found them in bright brass.

I'm wondering if these would look like the old handles after several years? Or if there is any amateur way to make them look antique?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Check they are not lacquered, and leave for a bit.

Reply to
Phil

Bright brass is usually clear powder coated, not lacquer coated, and powder coating is both difficult to remove and long lasting.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Are these the sort of things you mean ?

whole range

adams

michael adams

yes. I once made a copper plaque and it came in a kit and once you had embossed the copper sheet, theer was a liquid that turned the copper instantly black and also made it stink of rotten eggs. Then you buffed it down with wire wool and lacquered it.

With new brass, you may have it lacquered already and that needs to come off with paint stripper or summat. There you need that liquid which essentially accelerates ageing in a sulphur rich atmosphere creating coppers sulphide (black) rather than the usual oxide (reddish brown to black) to copper carbonate (verdigris green) ageing.

Ah. I have found something called 'liver of sulphur' on the net that should do the trick.

I must get some copper and do another plaque...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks very much. I hadn't come acroess that site - maybe I missed it because it uses metric sizes, and I was looking for 3.5 inches.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Dry ammonia process.

Clean the brass - sometimes the old ones too (if not terribly valuable) using a 3M or Webrax plastic pad. Degrease with acteone or similar.

Plastic tub - Tupperware or chinese takeaway, but fairly deep is good.

Splash a couple of teaspoons of ammonia into the tub. Use "strong cleaning ammonia", about 26% and fairly easily available from old school hardware shops, even today.

Half fill the tub with woodshavings, hamster bedding (used is fine!) or similar.

Place the brass on top of the shavings and close the lid. Don't spill liquid ammonia onto the brass or you get splash marks.

Leave it for an hour or two. Maybe open and turn the brass a couple of times. Leave until cooked. Ideally use a big tub, and do all the handles together, starting with them equally clean and shiny.

Dispose of the ammonia down a sink, or onto the garden (good fertiliser!).

Reply to
Andy Dingley