How the disabled are ripped off

I see. People run these shops as a favor to disabled people not to make money out of an easy target.

Reply to
James H

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:11:59 +0100, charles wr= ote:

My Range Rover car key would open and start any Range Rover. Which I di= d once by mistake until I saw his gloves on the dash and got out rather = quickly before I got arrested.

-- =

Follow your dream! Unless it's the one where you're at work in your unde= rwear during a fire drill.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I'll have you know that when I was working sons-in-law were responsible for some of the finest DIY jobs I was called out to rectify!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Development? A 0.5" length of wire soldered to two pins?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nightjar It is simply a matter of shopping around.

I agree, but I suspect many businesses take advantage of the fact their market is less mobile and less internet savvy than the general population. Which, although being rather horrid of them, is actually sound commercial practice I suppose!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, true. If there weren't half a million foreigners coming in every year house prices would be lower.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'm not, except where the difference is negligible.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Agreed.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Then you're not being ripped off. The shop is just making it convenient for you at a cost to them, then putting that on the price, just like it costs me far more to buy food in a little corner shop than a supermarket 2 miles away.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

A good service the disabled should be doing for the whole country is getting rid of speedbumps. They're illegally discriminating against the disabled. My Aunt has severe spine problems and can't go over them at any speed.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I'm not talking about me though, am I? I'm well accustomed to the internet. I have a vehicle to drive about in. I have retained sufficient of my faculties to function fairly normally in the retail environment (OK I can go a bit Victor Meldrew sometimes but apart from that...).

I'm talking about the many people we meet on our travels (you see being on a mobility scooter is like having a dog; you get to talk to everyone, especially other people on mobility scooters) who will lament the price they've just had to pay for their battery or whatever. We spend a bit of time in rural market towns where there might only be one disability shop within reasonable distance. I've looked in their shop windows. It verges on the criminal what they charge, sometimes.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I've had my grumble about it so that's that, water under the bridge.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes I know someone who has to take a long route to her mother's because of that.

In Rotherham a common way to induce a birth is for the woman to stand up in her boyfriend's van whilst he roars around the roadhump strewn streets. This has been known to make the baby plop out.

(That was a joke by the way)

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

What annoys me is the amount of money my council spends redoing streets with potholes, which are a tenth of the size of the speedbumps. Why do they bother?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The shop is smaller and catering for a small number of people - it's a lack of cheapness of large quantities (there's a better phrase for this).

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The pain caused by driving over speed bumps has been used to diagnose appendicitis.

Obviously this is a technique for deciding whether to go to A&E or O&G.

Reply to
polygonum

e.g. we have bought special 'cool pouches' for a diabetic.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And it would have to have been developed as part of the original scooter. Presumably this is a replacement for a lost one.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In theory. In practice, Amazon have always sorted it out for me to protect their 'branding'.

Not that I use them any more as they are generally more expensive than many other suppliers.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What's more important is what it causes.

Obstetrics and gynaecology?!

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Why? Insulin keeps for about 6 weeks once out of the fridge, depending on brand.

Reply to
dennis