How the disabled are ripped off

Comprehension really isn't your strong point, is it? Try reading the sentence starting "So, even if..." to yourself, slowly, this time following the words with your finger.

BTW, there is no such thing as "net immigration" - you're thinking of net _migration_, which is _immigration_ minus _emigration_.

Oh, and since 2011, the net migration total is 176k (year ending March

2012) + 212k (2013) + 243k (2014) + 330k (2015) = 961,000 people. 17.4% of the (plucked from your arse) population increase figure you give, not even close to being "most".
Reply to
Adrian

Ooh, let me think about that one... Might supply be relevant, too?

Especially in London and the SE, rental yields are laughably low. 2% is optimistic in many parts of London. People are buying to let solely because of the prospect of future capital growth - if they've even done the sums, rather than just think "Ooh, I can make a lot of money..."

Reply to
Adrian

Of course and the infrastructure associated with that supply.

Supply to match demand implies more housebuilding, something that isn't happening stoking the demand.

Yes, and you still have the asset. As you imply 2% is less that current growth estimates.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Do you get free soft drinks for that?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Exactly.

No, you don't have the asset any more if you cash in any capital growth.

And 2% was the rental yield figure. 6% - or more - is readily achievable elsewhere in the country, where purchase prices are far far lower.

Reply to
Adrian

You omit the effect of gearing by buying with a mortgage and being able to set mortgage interest against tax ? until it is phased out by 2020. For a higher rate taxpayer that 2% return could be nearer 10%.

Reply to
DJC

That involves throwing your partner at the ground.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Left handers try to tell us that left is no worse than right, but actually right handers could just as easily have learnt to use their left hand. Left handers are however limited to one hand. We use our right hand due to writing, which smudges the ink if you use the left hand.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Umm, hardly, since even the very highest rate taxpayer is still actually seeing over half of the interest payments come out of their own pocket.

Get charged £10k in interest, and pay 40% tax, you'll pay £6k directly, and have the other £4k set against income.

Or you would have. Now you'll get £2.5k set against income, and pay the other £7.5k directly.

Reply to
Adrian

To a point, yes. Your comment on "exactly the same batteries" strikes a chord with me -- sourcing replacements for a relative. The fitted batteries were "special disability batteries that you can't get elsewhere".

Opens box. Camden Europa Green series. Yeah, real special.

The EXACT same battery from CPC was half the price. A slightly inferior (Camden Europa Blue) was a little cheaper still, the only difference being the Green are certified for air travel and Blue aren't. This was never going to be an issue, so blue it was.

The disability "dealer" wanted the scooter dropping off to have the batteries changed, at somewhat inconvenience, whereas CPC delivered the batteries to the door, and they were fitted in minutes. Job done.

Also, note that either through ignorance, or wilful profiteering, this is the same dealer that advised that "it is best to fully run down the batteries before recharging them, otherwise they won't last as long". These are lead-acid batteries, the last thing you should be doing is deliberately flattening them every time. Awful advice.

Some of these shops ARE making a rather large profit off stunts like this. The argument that they are buying in small quantities doesn't wash -- I was buying (2), not even at trade prices, and even had to pay the VAT on them (provable disability supplies through legit channels - 0% VAT) and was so far under their price it was ridiculous.

Reply to
Mike

Be fair -- it will be in stock, but for quantities of (2) or more they'll have to order them specially :)

Reply to
Mike

They can do you for 31 in a 30 limit if they want to. The evidence needs a bit more effort with calibration, etc.

The allowance is just to ease the job of the police.

Reply to
dennis

Nice one.

:-)))))))).

Reply to
ARW

Net migration is a an irrelevance to one of the main problems, which is the cultural effects of large numbers of extremely alien people coming here.

My own personal preference is that I like to be surrounded by those of my own ilk.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yeah, very likely. I've never actually been in one but it wouldn't surprising me if the volume of customers in most of them isn't that great.

And I don't mean that they are all skinny as opposed to obscenely obese.

Nope, for the freaks.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

He's got cats and parrots, not dogs, silly.

Reply to
Jim Thomas

African Greys do it doggie style. Macaws don't.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

ROTFPMSL!

Indeed.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

But if you have a mortgage you have not invested the full value of the property, so the ROI is on the capital you put in. But you get to keep

100% of any capital appreciation. And as rents (and house prices) rise with inflation (at least in the long run) your investment is near enough indexed linked.
Reply to
DJC

The irritating thing about the Slough linked lights was that most of them were on a derestricted road, so it was legal to drive at any speed but the lights and signs tried to keep you to just under 30mph. If you drove at exactly 30mph, eventually you found a light on red which changed to green just as you stopped.

At the time I tried it, I had a car that could only get to 80mph downhill with the wind behind, but I did find that at 70mph I got five greens and then a red. Good enough, I thought.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John