How the disabled are ripped off

Yes that is correct. Most companies in the low vision world tend to have huge mark ups. Most the the cctv systems use pretty standard cameras and other bits. The only different bit is the box they are put in. Since some of them have been manufactured for years, one wonders how it is that prices can be over 2000 quid for 20 quids worth of bits. I know tooling cost a are quite hi, but...

Do you remember when wee were all told that spectacle frames were a racket and now you can get them anywhere, but they are still a racket, just slightly less of one than before. I bet they are churned out by the truck load.

Don't even get me started on blind persons computers. I always suggest a computer built by a competent small shop or similar and shove some public domain software on it and more than halve the cost even of the so called special offers through the disability companies. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

You realise that the rip off is worse than you percieve. Products from the 'disabled shop' are VAT free, not from the 'golf shop'.

Reply to
brightside S9

It is the old rule of caveat emptor, translated let the buyer beware. Shopping around is the first rule for any purchase these days. For example I recently bought a GO-GO Elite scooter for £485 delivered. Two local disabled equipment shops wanted more than £1,600. A total scandal that I am amazed no TV company has investigated or perhaps I blinked.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

They shouldn't be selling a battery VAT free. The exemption is only supposed to apply to equipment that has no significant non-disabled use, and is being sold to an individual end user.

Reply to
David Woolley

Where can you get a truly deep discharge 110AH battery for £65?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Says, "If the batteries were solely designed to operate within the eligible item however, they would be eligible for relief."

It's the design that matters. One wonders if putting a label on the battery "Designed for Mobility use only" would be sufficient? Especially if there is another label saying "May damage battery or non-mobility equipment where fitted" which is quite true.

The batteries are generally traction/deep discharge rated, so are designed for this type of use.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes, I was wondering that too! :-)

Something over £100 is nearer the mark for such a battery and the really posh ones can be considerably more than that.

I bought three Leoch 12 volt 100Ah deep cycle batteries a bit over a year ago and they were £109 each. I felt that was a very good price too.

Reply to
cl

My thoughts. Bill mentioned a 110AH battery which would have a price premium.

Many mobility suppliers will only supply VAT free batteries if they fit them as well. They claim it's HMRC's rules!

Reply to
Fredxxx

There is also a nasty little kickback racket between OTs and companies that push this overpriced stuff.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

That's rich, coming from an oxygen thief like you.

Reply to
Huge

Would you care to say why?

I don't know much about golf buggies, but you can't compare generic with manufacturer's spares. Even if they are the same product. That's because they haven't got to have the same wide inventory for generic. So, if you buy a battery for a top brand golf buggy from one of their dealers, how much does that cost? Otherwise, as you say, it's not comparable.

Reply to
GB

One possibility is that the disability shop orders the keys in from the manufacturer. Clearly, that's not the same process as the key cutting kiosk. For a start, you need to have the key to begin with to use the kiosk. You'd be the first to complain if the manufacturers of the scooter were unable to supply a key just from the ID number of the scooter.

Reply to
GB

I can remember buying car keys from a proper locksmith by quoting the number on another one.

Reply to
charles

In a shop near here Hil's 'Baby Bug is £1,850. We bought if off the internet for £780. The after sales service was fine.

In a shop near here Hil's 'Big Bug is £4,999. We bought if off the internet for £2,100. The after sales service was fine.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Manufacturers used to publish books (well FIAT did) which translated the keynumber into the mask needed for the machine. You then built up a composite key and used that as the template.

IIRC there were 3 possible heights, across 6 wards for the ignition. 5 wards for the doors. This was up to 1983/4.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The market is not captive. The disabled have the SAME option as anyone else to shop elsewhere.

This is no different to many uniformed people using the DIY sheds where the price is often twice+ that most of us reading this group would pay.

Reply to
alan_m

I'm well aware of the VAT situation. You are wrong. The exemption applies to batteries for scooters.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The reality is that if you buy from a retailer selling mostly disability kit and if you sign the declaration you don't pay the VAT. Done it loads of times.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ah, in the days when you had a different key for the ignition, each door and the boot (and the petrol cap!)

Reply to
Richard Conway

That's the military, police and fire service for you! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager