How strong is that black plastic chain from B&Q?

B&Q sells some black plastic chain, with links about 1" wide. I may be wrong, but I think it is intended for cosmetic use only (as a metal-chain look-alike).

My question is: How strong is it? Does anyone have any idea? Does anyone know what kind of plastic it is and if that plastic remains strong after prolonged exposure to the elements?

B&Q don't state any strength figures - probably because it is not intended for load-bearing use.

I need a good length rust-proof chain to take some load, and that black plastic stuff is so much cheaper than galvanised chain. I need it as an anchor chain for a large canoe. The chain does need some strength, because large waves can exert considerable stress on the chain, as the boat is wrenched away from the anchor's position. I guess 40kg tensile strength would be adequate.

Thank you,

Al D

Reply to
Al D

Rope

Reply to
Matt

Surely if the waves can exert that much force to break the plastic chain, they would also swamp and sink the canoe.

Would a length of polypropylene rope not be more suitable? Also you will damage it by storing it in direct sunlight.

You say canoe, but what type of canoe?

Reply to
Googlebot

one shaped like this: ()

Reply to
Phil L

I assume that your "large canoe" is worth more than a bit of galvanised chain? Quite a lot more than B&Q "black blastic ornamental chain"? Hm? Makes you think....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Al D contains these words:

Not a hope.

From experience, the plastic is of very variable quality, with many bubbles in it. Obviously a large bubble will reduce the strength to very little indeed.

Have a look for "chain" under boats & watercraft in eBay.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah... That's what I feared! Thanks for the advice..

Al D

Reply to
Al D

Nope (-;

Thanks for the suggestion, but rope is subject to chafing on rocks etc. So they recommend chain, at least for a few yards next to the anchor.

Al D

Reply to
Al D

Unfortunately rope is subject to chafing on rocks and that poly rope degrades in UV light. Also, it's a bitch to coil - and if you cut it loose, it floats and fouls someone's propellor. Otherwise it would be great because it's so cheap.

Open canoe (Canadian style), max laden weight 400kg

Al D

Reply to
Al D

Of course.. but if the anchor line breaks, it won't be the end of the canoe; it just means I'm no longer at anchor (which could be hazardous in some situations). Galvanized chain does cost... (£3 a meter) (20 meters = £60). And it's heavy... and it often has sharp bits sticking out, which can shred your hands, so if I knew of some adequately strong plastic chain, it would be preferable.

Al D

Reply to
Al D

How about a length of stainless steel multi-strand wire a mm or two in diameter? It's strong, cheap, light, takes up little space and won't rust. You can buy it with cleats and fixing loops and other bits & bobs.

Reply to
jhiker

How about a length of steel multi strand wire threaded through the plastic chain? String, cheap, light, wont rust, and easier to pull up with bare hands than the multi strand wire

Reply to
Harris

An anchor *needs* a metal chain for it to work, it's the weight of the chain that has a considerable part in holding the anchor down so that it grips.

So I think it would be a bad idea to use plastic chain.

Reply to
tinnews

The message from Al D contains these words:

Stainless chain?

bloke
stacks of stainless chain in many sizes - 4mm is probably thick enough and that's £2.85/meter. Smooth - no snags like galvanised.

Reply to
Guy King

has stacks of stainless chain in many sizes - 4mm is probably

Perfick

Reply to
Steve Walker