How small can a spare bedroom be

How small can you make a room and still call it a bedroom (within regulations.

Reply to
Richard

Google "capsule hotel".

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thank you! now how small can it be in the UK and still be called a bedroom.

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote | How small can you make a room and still call it a bedroom | (within regulations.

In Scotland, if you wanted to rent the room out as part of an HMO, for a single room (1 adult) where a common living room is provided, 6.5 sq. metres.

Forest for flat conversions have the guidelines of 8.0 sq metres for a single bedroom in a 1 or 2 person flat, 6.5 sq m for a single room in a flat with double bedrooms and 3+ people.

Gravesham Borough use similar figures and their site notes:

These minimum floorspace requirements (excluding those for kitchen/diners and lounge/diners) were derived from the DoE Design Bulletins #6 - "Space in the Home" and #29 - "Housing Single People

2" and "Activities and Spaces - Data for Housing Design" published by the DoE in 1983. These documents also provided the basis for the floorspace requirements for the Residential Layout Guidelines approved in 1984
could also look at Housing Quality Indicators on the ODPM's website.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it's got a window, has a door, a bed and walk around two sides of the bed then I guess that would be a bedroom...

I suspect any regulations will to do with ventilation / access and not size.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Our designated third bedroom has a door, a window and it will take a single bed - but you can't walk round two sides of the bed.

The room is 7' x 7'. The houses are officially three bedroomed (1937 semi).

And indeed, for a time we had two teenage girls in this room, with an ex-army (metal) bunk bed, two chests of drawers (one on top of the other) and a small wardrobe.

It wasn't always harmonious ...

I remember with fondness the London estate agent who would advertise "two bedrooms and one for the dwarf". Can't remember his name but it was worth buying the Sunday Times for!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:41:17 -0000, ":::Jerry::::" strung together this:

Most rooms not intended to be the master bedroom aren't bedrooms in that case. How many rooms could you fit a bed in and walk round both sides, I know most you'd be struggling.

Reply to
Lurch

Err, perhaps I should have said an end and a side, for those having a temporary brain storm.....

A rectangle tube has 4 sides, a rectangle cube (brick) has 6 six sides but stands on one of them - etc. etc. etc. :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 23:48:46 -0000, ":::Jerry::::" strung together this:

It's all about context..... ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

If you cant get the bed in, cut it down a bit :) Sorry I cant answer your q. 50-60 sq ft is generally accepted as a minimum, but thats nowt to do with BRs.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

If you cant get the bed in, cut it down a bit :) Sorry I cant answer your q. 50 sq ft is often accepted as a minimum, but thats nowt to do with BRs.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Only needs walk round one side.

If its to be used as a bedroom it comes under certain regs.

I remember once a couple living on a mattress under the stairs in a cupboard in one house I shared...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In this house, six :-)

No seven, if you turned the intended master batherom into another bedroom :-)

No eight, if the spare kitchen was stripped out. No nine, if the third bathroom were made into a bedroom.

No ten, if I ddi a lift conversion. No 15, if I split certain rooms in two.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, you mean that you can get to the side and teh top only, so as to get in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, build a bed in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are there specific building regulations for bedrooms, though? As opposed to living rooms, studies or whatever?

Bert

Bert Coules

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | No ten, if I ddi a lift conversion.

That's a very big lift. Even if you meant one bedroom on each storey.

I suppose it would be one way of meeting Part M, a bedroom on the ground or the first floor at the touch of a button.

Be a bugger to plumb the en-suite in though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:13:43 +0000, The Natural Philosopher strung together this:

Alright smart arse, I was generalising a bit!

Reply to
Lurch

You have hexagonal beds?

Reply to