How ro generate a wifi signal (I have cable broadband)

They should work but how well will depend on that X in 802.11X. For best results you should use the 802.11n variant at both ends. It's faster and works at longer ranges but it will cost substantially more. See how you get on with what you have ordered. If you find the connection slow or flaky you can possibly wait to upgrade when the money-fairy calls.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Better to understand the OPs situation first, IME.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

You sound like the clueless droids who staff talk talk first and second level support line.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The dongles I've bought come with a USB extension lead, I'm guessing for precisely this reason.

Reply to
Clive George

I'm not on BT but I installed a brand new home hub 2 that was shiny black with blue lights a couple of weeks ago for a disabled neighbour.

The wifi worked straight out of the box once the access key was entered which was a relief as the only terminal device immediately to hand was an iPad which I'd never even seen before let alone used.

Reply to
The Other Mike

The thread had gone on to suggest wireless for his desktop. I was suggesting not using wireless for /this/.

Reply to
Mark

Mark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I certainly wondered about using ethernet, but I wasn;t sure if my Android device could access the net via ethernet. Do you think it can? There is no ethernet port on it; only USB sockets. I could get an ethernet-to-USB adapter. Do you think that would work?

Cheers.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Could've sworn mine was disabled when it arrived. Maybe a different tester at the factory. That or I've forgotten that I disabled it when I installed it as I didn't use wifi at the time.

Once it's enabled, it works fine, except that mine occasionally refuses to renew the connection on a computer that's been elswhere, or drops a connection at random.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm lazy, and the phone normally works just as well in my pocket, or attached to the windscreen, where it replaces a dedicated GPS unit, but in a couple of places I go to regularly, the phone needs to be a couple of metres away from the only flat surface available to type on. The dongle didn't work *for me*, the phone does. YMMV, and so on.

Reply to
John Williamson

well maybe.

I was sane enough to CAT5 the house.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

By all means use wireless for portable devices like your android device. I was recommending using wired connection for desktops. Wireless can be unreliable so it is better (IMHO) to use wires where you can.

Reply to
Mark

Sure, I could plug a wire in, but it would gain me nothing. The big gain (ie flexibility to be anywhere) from the wireless comes when I'm further away, which is also when the signal starts to fall off.

Reply to
Clive George

Agreed.

That's a desktop laptop, innit.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Right now, yes - later today it will become a laptop laptop again, and the cycle will probably be repeated many many times :-)

Reply to
Clive George

well her it gaisn about 2-4 times in speed when two machines are concerned, and stops file transfers between desktop and the server blocking the link for the other desktop to access the internet, FOR example.

The big gain (ie

If you wire the house properly, you can hook in anywhere.

Not that we ever do. Her is where the best screens, dedicated desks, comfy chairs and all the info needed, and so on, is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure she appreciates your efforts, ungrammatical as they may be :p

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I got a wireless access point for accessories that only have wireless capability and now for a wireless printer. Now also use it to back up to an old desktop upstairs. Main PCs are hard wired after too many slow getting connected starts.

Reply to
Invisible Man

I forgot to mention I am squeezing the last out of this coffee splashed ash encrusted keyboard as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher