How ro generate a wifi signal (I have cable broadband)

Clive George wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Yes - they would. In fact, they offered to. However, I don;t want to sign up for another year, because the speeds have been abbysmal, even after they did everything in their power to speed it up. I'm getting about half the speed that other folks in my village are getting via BT and TalkTalk.

The pennies are rather tight at pres, but I'll have a look. Thanks.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

No, don't do that, give Plusnet a ring and ask for another router. They may even be able to do it today. You won't have changed the way they work by sending the other one back and they are very friendly. You have nothing to lose by ringing them.

Reply to
Howard Neil

But the OP should bear in mind that this solution will mean he can only use wifi when the main computer is switched on, which may or may not be an issue for him. I certainly wouldn't like it!

David

Reply to
Lobster

As well as the wifi router, not instead of, although it can work the way you suggest, with the PC sharing its internet connection via the dongle, if that's what you want.

Reply to
John Williamson

AL_n ( snipped-for-privacy@fghfghfg.com) wibbled on Sunday 20 February 2011 13:48:

That does not sound like a WIFI device - it sounds more like a 3G access doobrey (hence the SIM slot).

So unless it is a combined device (which I hugely doubt[1] then, no - unless you want to route your PC's internet via your mobile carrier.

[1] So called MIFI devices have WIFI AP and a 3G access modem and basically log onto the cell network and rebroadcast it as a WIFI access point. I have not seen one that has a USB - though it would make sense as a means of power (otherwise you get through batteries). But that are quite chunky.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Huawei E1752Cu USB Modem or near equivalent. Not bad, but no Wifi. I used to use one for a while. Now I use an HTC mobile phone as a bluetooth linked modem, as it's easier to reposition in marginal areas.

Reply to
John Williamson

Good call, but wireless routers are also ten a penny at your local car boot sale. Some folks don't know what to do with them, particulary the ones hoisted on them by BT and TalkTalk.

Reply to
Adrian C

two boxes, two plugs, two more wires..twice electrickery consumption...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ask around or on Freecycle - probably lots of unused WiFi routers around especially older ones which will be fine for what you want to do. Some "cable" wireless routers ( ones which have ethernet coming in from a separate modem) have an option to be used purely as a Wireless Access point - just makes the setup easier.

Reply to
robert

Al_n: from skimming through this discussion I'd guess that your BB speed has little to do with Plusnet (another very happy customer here) (though I'm in NE ENgland - dunno where you are).

Poor BB speeds are often (usually?) blamed on the ISP. Sometimes they are to blame, but other possible causes are: a Windows PC which is completely full of crap, unconsciously collected over the last few years by the user; trouble at the local exchange (which is a BT issue, not the ISP, although the ISP may often prod BT hard enough to get it sorted); a crap phone connection to your house; or a crap router.

If Plusnet offered you a free router, you should snap it up. It's almost *never* a good idea to make-do-and-mend with IT technology: it moves on so fast, that it's almost always worth getting new stuff (once the bleeding-edge period has passed).

Having got your router from Plusnet, you login into via your (ethernet wired) PC, switch ON the router's wireless capability, and off you go with your Android, which should "see" your wireless network immediately.

You'll be able to do other things, such as restrict access to your wireless and permit only your own devices to use it (i.e. prevent the neighbours and passers-by using it -- though in fact that's not very likely to be a noticeably huge problem unless the neighbours are in the habit of downloading films, e.g.). However: one step at a time.

That's my 2p (or rather more -- sorry)

John

Reply to
Another John

Another John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Fine example of this...

My mother recently went Broadband - she's 2.5 miles from the exchange.

When we plugged the router in, it wouldn't even see a basic carrier, let alone connect. Eventually, the ISP arranged for BT to come in. The BT guy came in, spent _two hours_ undoing the knitting (his word) in the old- style junction box, and replacing it with a modern master socket.

She now gets a rock-solid 3.5mbps.

Reply to
Adrian

Buy a WiFi Access Point (WAP), or replace the existing ADSL router with one that includes WiFi (assuming the existing one doesn't already have WiFi that's disabled).

I need the wifi signal for a mobile device

Which model tablet? Many of them will take a 3G USIM to allow use on the phone networks, but then that's a monthly cost, depends if you'll use it outside the hoe, or other WiFi covered areas.

Out of curiosity, if you don't have WiFi or 3G, what did you hope to be able to do with a tablet?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Better to get a switch and use ethernet. WiFi is often unreliable IME.

Reply to
Mark

It depends whether the router would be located to give a good wifi signal where it's needed. The "best" place to locate a router is often not the same place as the best place for an access point.

Reply to
Mark

I'd agree with this. It is unlikely that your slow speed would be remedied by swapping ISPs. If you think that you should get faster speeds then I suggest you raise a speed fault with PlusNet. There are many, many reasons why you might not get good speeds.

Reply to
Mark

John Williamson wrote in news:8sctphF3rdU2 @mid.individual.net:

When travelling a lot with my laptop, I used a USB extension lead to enable me to reposition the Huawei dongle for best reception.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

John Williamson wrote in news:8scqs0Fho6U1 @mid.individual.net:

This is all really helpful, - thanks, people!

I have ordered a D-LINK DWL-1000AP 11MBPS WIRELESS ACCESS POINT (£8) and a LAN NETWORK DONGLE 54Mbps, (£4). They both use the IEEE 802.1X standard, so I hope that means they will suit.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Andy Burns wrote in news:efadnVaMUurvif snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

X5A (the best of the Chinese I-pad clones, I gather)

Many of them will take a 3G USIM to allow use on the

I bought it primarily beacause I needed an e-book reader, but liked the idea of the Android tablet because of the web access capability. Small enough to fit in a pocket too, so it can be carried around easier than a laptop. My laptop died after I dropped it. Motherboard broke. A new motherboard would cost more than this Android tablet.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

How's he going to use his Android tablet, then?

Reply to
Bob Eager

But WiFi that will work where you want it to. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice