How ro generate a wifi signal (I have cable broadband)

Hi all, My house has a broadband connection, via BT phone line. How do I create a wifi signal in my house? I need the wifi signal for a mobile device (Android tablet PC), which only seems equipped to access the net via wifi.

Many thanks,

Al

Reply to
AL_n

You use a wireless router (which you may already have).

Reply to
Howard Neil

You don't say what you have so far - just a single PC connected to the cable box, or multiple PCs.

If the cable box already has wireless, you just need to configure it.

If you have Ethernet to connect more than one PC already, just plug in a wireless access point. You do not need a router.

If you have a single PC attached to the cable box, I don't know if that connection is Eithernet or not....

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm assuming that your ISP is BT, as you've mentioned a BT line. If not, then you'll need to talk to your ISP about it.

Setup depends on whether you have the Home Hub 2 or not. The Home Hub 2 (Big, shiny black one with blue lights on the front) has wifi built in, which is disabled by default, the earlier one (Small, duller black) doesn't.

If you have the earlier one, you could try chatting up BT, and if they won't help, then you'll need to buy a router with wifi. If it's the later one, then it's easy to set up from the Home Hub's web interface.

My early type ADSL modem/router failed out of warranty, and BT were quite happy to send out a later one to replace it, after a bit of faffing about. I had to sign up for a year to a better, cheaper plan than the one I had, IIRC.

Reply to
John Williamson

Your title line says you have Cable broadband and the text of your message says you have BB via a BT phone line. They can't *both* be right

- which is it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I read it as "hard-wired" rather than "cable" (ie the OP doesn't appreciate the different connotations of "cable")

David

Reply to
Lobster

Buy a wifi equipped router.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To which TNP suggested:

Or a Wireless Access Point, which plugs into an Ethernet port of your current modem/router. (Google will find "Wireless Access Point" devices)

You can then leave your current Modem/Router close to your phone Master socket, which is the best place to put these, and locate the wireless adaptor(s) in the same room(s) used by your wireless device and connect these with an Ethernet cable. That way, you'll get the best signal possible where it's needed.

Reply to
John Weston

Roger Mills wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Good point - sorry! My braodband is not cable; it is just carried over the BT phone line. My phone provider is BT and my broadband provider is Plusnet.

AL

Reply to
AL_n

John Weston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

The Wireless Access Point idea looks like a nice cheap option. I've seen these going for around £20 on eBay. Many thanks to all for the assistance. My router only has one ethernet socket, but I guess it's easy enough to unplug the ethernet cable going to my PC, and plug in the WAP when I want to access the net my mobile device.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

An alternative is to buy an Ethernet switch as well so that you don't need to unplug one device to connect another. You plug the router, the PC and the access-point into the switch. That will require three ports. Switches usually come in four, five, eight or more port sizes.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

In that case, speak with Plusnet. They will usually provide a wireless router free as long as you stay with them. If you leave within a year, then you get charged for the router. If you intend to stay with them anyway, this will provide you with a totally free way of getting your wi-fi.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Or, to save fiddling about with plugs, buy a USB wifi dongle for your main computer for another £20 or so and use that. Even the slowest are faster than broadband speeds, so you'll not notice the difference between that and a wired connection when you're surfing, and you'll also be able to share files between your computer and tablet without plugging stuff in and out after a bit of setting up.

Reply to
John Williamson

John Williamson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Thanks. I have a USB wireless internet dongle which I bought from O2 a couple of years ago. It has a O2 sim card inside. Will that work? Should I remove the sim card? Sorry if this is a daft question!

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Bernard Peek wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Thanks. I may already have a switch buried away somewhere. I recall using one when I had VOIP set up 2 yrs ago.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Howard Neil wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I'm kicking myself now! Plusnet actually sent me one a few weeks ago, to test my broadband. They said I could keep it provided I agreed to sign up for another year with them. I returned it. I wish I still had it now, if only to see how well it worked with my Android device. Looks like I might have to shell out for a WAP on eBay...

My Android device has a couiple of USP ports. I wonder if I can access the internet via my PC somehow. I did try, but couldn't find a way of doing it.

I wonder also, if I could get a USB-Ethernet adaptor and plucg the USB cable into the broadband modem via the adapter. Would that work? Such adaptors cost about £3.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Unfortunately, the O2 dongle is not compatible with wifi. Basically, it's a cellphone without the battery, dial and voice bits.

Googling for "usb wifi dongle" will give you a good selection, they even sell them in PC World.

Reply to
John Williamson

To which TNP suggested:

Or a Wireless Access Point, which plugs into an Ethernet port of your current modem/router. (Google will find "Wireless Access Point" devices)

You can then leave your current Modem/Router close to your phone Master socket, which is the best place to put these, and locate the wireless adaptor(s) in the same room(s) used by your wireless device and connect these with an Ethernet cable. That way, you'll get the best signal possible where it's needed. _____________________

Or just use a wireless router, perhaps obtained form eBay, configured with a sensible IP address and switch off DHCP.

If you agree to a new 1 year contract, your ISP may be willing to send you a wireless router FOC.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

I'd go the wireless router rather than separate access point too. Save the faff of the extra device and either another device or cable swapping.

Reply to
Clive George

I bought a Edimax EW-7206APN from

for my daughter for £23.00. Nothing special but it works fine.

One of these will do the job but I would talk to Plusnet first.

Reply to
Vortex10