How much to change a pullswitch?

£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Only £350 from me!

Excellent rates on wireless doorchimes as well!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Adam, an even better one.

Did you see the item at the end of the program where a mother wanted to insure her seventeen year old daughter to drive a Ford Fiesta?

The quotation for that was a mere £94,475 ...... bloody hell, this is one of the very, very few times I'm glad I'm not seventeen!!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

If Tony Sayer can find a spot for a pullswitch up top of Belmont or Emley Moor I'll chip in a tenner towards your fee, or £20 if I can reach the cord from the ground :)

Reply to
Robin

Top of Emley Moor. I once had and an old school friend who worked there.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Suppose that will be the stick on ones. £700 for the screw on ones? :)

Reply to
Ericp

OK - a serious question ...

I'm a pensioner. I call you out to do exactly that job. You fix it in 10 minutes.

What would you charge me ?

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

£30 if you are local.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

I hope you took careful note of the explanation offered by a plumbing firm to the new plumber on the block.

On the lines of:

If you've got the part in the van tell the customer you have to get it from a supplier. Take an hour to go and get it, charge the customer for the time. When you get the part go to a nearby supplier and get the cheapest part, get a receipt but tell the customer that you only deal trade account and can't show them a receipt. When you charge the customer mark the part up according to how wealthy they look, about

40%[1].

[1] Actually based on usual markups this seemed a bit low, most tradesmen mark up by 50%[2] (i.e. charge the customer twice what they paid for the part.)

[2] This is under the "daylight robbery" technique for marking up prices where the percentage is caculated as markup/(markup+price paid) if it were done properly (markup/price paid) it would be 100%.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Main Dealer markup on parts is 100%, Cars are usually 10-15% over invoice, and aftermarket stuff is simply fantastic markup (alloy wheels are about 230-450% markup which is amusing for what is just a bulk-buy, warehouse, shift, commodity-almost part).

Reply to
js.b1

I was thinking more ... Rockall

Reply to
geoff

In message , Cash

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I wonder how much they would charge to take the piss?

Or is that no longer in their job description?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
Clive George

I believe younger drivers can get "reasonable" insurance rates if they have a black box fitted which records G, time, perhaps even GPS data. Basically if someone IS using the car for work, then it makes things viable.

Reply to
js.b1

I found it hard to understand why her kitchen fitter (grand?)son hadn't done it for her, or got the sparks he doubtless works with to do it. But if it was the kind of pullswitch where the cord goes through a bead dangling just below the head, there's no electrickery involved anyway.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Thats plain dishonest. If I have the part on the van I supply it & mark it up. If I have to go & get it there are 2 scenarios. If its a part a handyman could be expected to carry, I don't charge for the time getting it, but I will still mark it up. If its a part I couldn't be expected to carry, I charge for the time & mark it up.

For example, I don't carry multiquik WC connectors as there are about 6 variations. If I were a plumber I would carry one of each.

Why should you show the customer the receipt? Would a garage show you the receipt for the parts they fitted during a service? Would Tesco show you their receipt for the loaf of bread you bought?

I itemise parts & labour on the bill, but the receipt is mine.

The only exception to that is if its an expensive item & the customer is VAT registered (I'm not). In that case I ask for cash from them, get the item & give them the change & the VAT receipt.

Small traders especially need to mark up parts. All business's do.

My general policy is to buy online & sell at Homebase price - 10%. That gives me a very good margin because the Homebase et al mark up is far higher than any small trader - 400 - 800% in some cases.

For example - 300mm flexible tap connector (compression) - I can buy for £1, Homebase sell them at £8.99 - and they must pay much less than £1.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And I wonder how many 'small traders' charge VAT when they aren't even registered for it ?. After all most single females over a certain age will believe anything - my neighbour being a case in point, so that's another 17.5% profit on top of the already overinflated price. I used to be a freelance programmer and was VAT registered. No agency would pay ANY vat to me until they had seen and confirmed my VAT status. Customers should make the same stance to Joe Bloggs in his white van.

RUBBISH. markups should be banned by law along with the whole concept of trade and retail prices. Why for example should Travis Perkins charge some customers more than others just because some are 'traders'.

The price you charge the customer should be the price you paid. Included in your bill should be the amount of labour charge, itemising any costs/time involved in obtaining it, then VAT if you are registered. This is what transparency is all about. Buying cheap on the internet and then whistling 'List Price' out of your rear-end to the customer is immoral and should be illegal too.

Reply to
ad

Only the ones committing fraud. Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a third party is also fraud. The whole concept of VAT is that its the end user that pays. It is illegal for a company to buy something, use it and then claim the VAT back. That means the VAT has not been paid and a fraud has taken place.

Reply to
dennis

[...]

The principal was that a trader would buy lots of items and only have one invoice - a retail customer would buy less at each transaction. A transaction has an admin / labour element.

Reply to
John