How much to change a pullswitch?

I see dennis is too shit-scared to answer that one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , "dennis@home" writes

It's geoff, you illiterate retard

exactly as in my sig below

who can't read ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

So, are you now going to admit you got the spelling wrong

A simple "yes" will suffice

Reply to
geoff

what's up geof.

Reply to
dennis

no geof.

Reply to
dennis

Which is fine as long as you don't mind banning the whole concept of product distribution as we know it.

Depends on your definition of "the price you paid".

The "price you paid" is the raw cost of the item plus your overheads, your time, your transaction cost and many other items including your profit.

Remember the exercise of a business is not to break even, but to make money for its owners.

You seem to have fundamental lack of understanding of how a commercial enterprise needs to work. If you simply pass good through your business at the "price you paid", you are losing money on every single one.

Reply to
John Rumm

No its not. A VAT registered business will claim back VAT on all purchases. It will charge VAT on all sales. It will pay HMRC the difference. Hence the tax raised on the Value Added by the business.

(where "all" obviously accounts for varying VAT rates - i.e. no VAT to reclaim on books for example)

Twaddle.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't see why that should be the case. Where it is customary to charge customers on a time and materials basis, it's perfectly OK to charge for materials "at cost" (without markup), but instead to make sure you count the time involved in procuring said materials.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

That is not how it is done. The markup also acts as a guarantee.

A good example would be say new double glazing. A fitter charges a mark up on the units he fits. If six months later one of the units fails then he will then come back and change the unit for free. The manufacturer supplies the new unit at their cost but the fitter gives his time up without charging the customer again. Now if the customer had only payed the fitter the price he paid and a unit fails then the customer would have to pay the fitter for his time to replace failed unit.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Wow, was that actually dennis admitting he got something wrong?

That does not make sense...

Everyone pays vat when they buy the goods. If you sell something and are not VAT registered, then you don't need to account for the VAT separately - however you will charge a price equal or greater than the VAT inclusive cost.

Which would probably please HMRC since they seem to spend an awful lot of effort discouraging small businesses from registering.

However if a non VAT registered person is not passing the good through their business and is not adding any markup to the price, then all they are doing is acting as an agent for the buyer.

Not really. The intermediary can pass the invoice to the purchaser, andy they still have full statutory rights as a consumer - even if it was not them that handed over the cash at the counter in the first place.

You can only reclaim VAT against a VAT invoice. So if buying goods from a non registered trader, then you won't be able to reclaim any VAT since the trader will not be able to issue a VAT invoice.

The seller to the consumer is responsible for providing the consumers statutory rights. (one of the reasons you never sell retail at cost price!) So if a trader like TMH supplies something he bought from Wickes, and it turns out to be faulty, then he is responsible for dealing with his customer and offering repair/replacement etc. In turn he can go argue the case with bis supplier.

Reply to
John Rumm

Alas its not always that simple - it depends a little on how carefully you have costed the "time" element. Even then, all the time you have your money tied up in a "stock" moving through your business you are losing interest on it, and reducing your available working capital (which may increase your borrowing requirement and hence interest payments), and possibly incurring bank charges etc on processing the purchase and sale payments.

The time element needs to allow for all the overheads (insurance, plant, machinery, commercial rent, professional fees, depreciation etc) involved as well as the cost of the staff involved.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK - I'll try that on the next farmer I see. After all, he paid the cow nothing for the milk, eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

My one and only foray into this rather boring thread - so boring I can't even take the piss out of TMH because for a change, he is somewhere near right o many things that he has written!

John, it's called the *FREE* market and customers have the option to accept or reject the contract - or even look elsewhere.

As a matter of interest, have you ever haggled for a discount off any goods or services that you wished to buy - or even "paid by cash" to avoid paying VAT on something? If you have, then you are a hypocrite and if you say you haven't, then you are telling 'porkies'.

Reply to
Unbeliever

Its OK I have already accepted that i was wrong. I just wont say yes or no to geof as it is winding him up so much its funny. He even gets wound up because I miss bits off his name which I do because he appears to like to change mine. It appears that the original VAT system was changed and I didn't notice but so what? I don't run a business.

Reply to
dennis

Its not the first time, however geof can't read so he needs me to say yes or no. You will notice a lot of posts after this one where he still hasn't realised I said I was wrong. Later on he claims to have a physics degree which I find hard to believe unless its from a uni in Bombay as he can't actually read.

Reply to
dennis

I have haggled over prices lots of times, I have even paid cash. I expect a receipt, if the trader doesn't put it through his books he risks getting caught and I will not lie to protect him. If the VAT man asks for the receipt he will get a copy.

Reply to
dennis

Trying to bury it among all the following twaddle, just like a politician trying to slip something out unnoticed on a bad news day.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

He still won't admit he was wrong

he doesn't have a clue about business

I suppose he didn't need to as a middle manager at marconis

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No it hasn't

You couldn't

Reply to
geoff

Thank you...

Odd what some find amusing.

Not in the last 20 years... As to "so what?", don't you feel any responsibility to contribute accurate information if you are going to post your opinion as fact on public fora?

Reply to
John Rumm