How much plasticiser?

When I make up my cement, I usually fling in six buckets of sand (wickes builders bucket), one of cement with water to taste. At the moment I take my plasticiser container and fling in a capfull of plasticiser. Is this too much or too little?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Plasticiser addition is based on cement weight normally, so the sanddoes not come into the equation. I think for a bucketful two capfuls is probably better. The noticeably affect final strength you have to grossly overdose with plasticiser. If there is too little the workability will not be so good. In either case toom uch or too little will not be disastrous.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Thanks John!

Reply to
Paul Andrews

I've watched Will Shanahan out of Ground Force mix loads of 'muck' for Tommy. You need to use a 'glug' like he does.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

There should be instructions on the container for ml per (often) 100kg of cement, just need to scale for the cement weight. One bag is usually

25kg in the DIY stores.

IIRC two capfuls might be better as suggested in another post, but its a long time since I used this (just use a squirt of fairy liq these days).

Manufacturer datasheets will provide info if you can download (sometimes also on the % reduction in strength for various concentrations).

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

"Paul Andrews" wrote in news:Vp1Ie.25780$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

Are you using Rugby cement? Then you possibly don't need to add any. I have not checked whether any other company does the same.

Q: What is ''Special'' about Rugby Extra Special?

A: Rugby Extra Special is our premium cement designed for use in both mortar and concrete. Extra Special incorporates a plasticiser, which also entrains air (it produces very small air bubbles in the finished product), together with other constituents that improve water retention, cohesion, placing and finishing. Durability of hardened mortar and concrete, in terms of both frost and chemical resistance, is enhanced. Q: What is the difference between Rugby Extra Special and Rugby Masonry?

A: Rugby Masonry is our traditional brick and block laying cement. It is proportioned at our factory to incorporate both a mineral filler and a plasticiser, resulting in mortars that hang on the trowel and spread easily. Rugby Masonry is designed specifically for production of mortars / renders and is not suitable for concrete.

From

Reply to
Rod

How about using a cement with plasticizer added, like Mastercrete - its the same price.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Dunno. What does it say on the instructions? I know a little of most of them goes a long way. IIRC they usually consist of lignosulphonates which dry to a solid but don't foam like a detergent. I'm always amazed how much they reduce the water required for a good mix

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Uh-oh. Someone hasn't read my FAQ on the subject. Ask any other chemist familiar with cement and find out why fairy liquid is not a good idea.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt