How much mortar

Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks for the base of a greenhouse.

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

How big are your bags of sand required?

The normal Wickes size of from my local builders merchant. I can't see that it will need many.

Reply to
Zen83237

I would have thought a barrow/mixer load would do that many bricks. That usually works out at three bags of sand and half a cement...

Reply to
John Rumm

Zen83237 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Try a google for "brick estimator|calculator" or "mortar calculator" or similar - I've seen one somewhere on the web (pavingexpert?? - can't remember) that let you reckon a section of wall into number of bricks and amount of mortar.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Prolly 3 or 4 bags, plus a bag of OPC, add water, mix thoroughly to a nice stiff creamy consistency, add to faces of brick, lay brick in a straight line where you need it, repeat for another 79 bricks making courses as you go to required height. Leave a small gap at the lowest points for water escape when the garden hose stays on when you go watch TV. Finish job. Make a cuppa Stand back and watch next doors cat pee all over them ;-)

straight

I'd keep it OFF the faces if I were you - looks 'orrid !!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

bricks and

Paving Expert has one iirc

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Depends rather crucially on the bag size! Might only need one.

Reply to
Bruce

three 25kg bags will be sufficient

Reply to
Phil L

well I was assuming the typical 25kg ones rather than the 1000kg ones...

Reply to
John Rumm

That all depends on how thick you make the joints!

Lets assume 1cm

Brick 200 x 100 x 75

Area of mortar on 1/2 single brick = 0.1 x 0.3 = 0.03m2 Volume of mortar per brick = 0.03 x 0.01 = 0.0003m3

80 bricks ; volume = 0.024m3 1m3 = 2,000 kg ; 0.024m3 = 48kg of mix

So 2 bags (25kg) sand at a minimum - plus cement;

Reply to
Fred

I recall the wise words of a line manager from some years ago:

"Don't assume!"

Reply to
Bruce

;-) well yes, but I would be surprised if you have a barrow or mixer that would take three large bags in one mix!

Reply to
John Rumm

supposed to use SRPC for that, technically speaking. I've little idea just what the failure rate is with opc though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm tempted to say "Don't assume!"

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Isn't most OPC now also sulphate resisting?

Reply to
Bruce

I've heard it put better:

"Assumption is the mother of all c*ck-ups"

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Assume makes an ASS out of U and ME"

Reply to