How much money in two square foot of 1 and 2 pence coins?

Anyone like to hazard a guess how much money there would be in a box filled with pennies and tuppences? The dimensions are 1 x 1 x 2 feet?

Regards Suz

Reply to
someone

with pennies and tuppences?

£250

OK what do I win?

Reply to
John Rumm

Two square inches of pennies?

Or, if you help me count it, I'll cut you in for 1%. Can't say fairer than that.

Suz

Reply to
Suzanne

Are we allowed to melt or otherwise disfigure them?

If not, my guess is £827.39, approximately.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

with pennies and tuppences?

Best approximation might be had from weighing them.

Reply to
Rod

with pennies and tuppences?

Two cubic feet, then! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote

Perhaps not in a manner of speaking! Yes 2 cubic feet in volume terms, but if the coins were in a sphere of the same volume they would certainly stack differently and result in a different monetary value. The OPs description of the shape as well as volume is certainly relevant in this case.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

with pennies and tuppences?

What's the ratio between the pennies and tuppences? You could have a box with, say, 300 tuppences and 1 penny or 400 pennies and one tuppence. This results in wildly different values. It would be better to have box filled entirely of pennies or tuppences to stand any chance of figuring out the value.

Reply to
Rob Horton

If you can find some scales to weigh over a quarter of a ton. Which is a rough estimate to what they would weigh. I hope they are on a solid floor and not a suspended one.

Reply to
dennis

filled with pennies and tuppences?

He can't do that its against the rules. ;-)

Reply to
George

Strangely enough, this isn't exactly true. A 2p coin weighs just about twice as much as a 1p coin. This allows banks to quickly check the value of a bag of assorted 1p/2p coins. For reference the weights are 3.56g and

7.13g.

Of course, you *may* get more 1p coins into a given volume than 2p coins.

Reply to
mick

Which is why I suggested weighing it in the first place! Same applies (or used to) to other "families" of British coinage - e.g. 5p and 10p.

Reply to
Rod

And somebody will have thrown in the odd (now old) foreign coin to spoil this competition.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth