How much load/current can an electricity coin meter take?

I have a one-bedroom flat in which I want to install a £1 coin meter for the elctric supply. Can these typical £1-coin meters safely take the load of an electric shower plus an electric cooker (plus the usual lighting and ring main)?

Thank you.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

They should usually state the load rating near the serial number of=20 the meter.

Alternatively, does it have a "red spot" on there somewhere ? (often=20 around the glass) - IIRC that means they were uprated from 30A or 40A=20 to 60A (might even have been 80A) back in the 80's.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Thanks. It has no red spot but appears to be 60 amps, if the sticker on the coin drawer is to be believed. Is 60 amps sufficient for a small belling cooker and an electric shower, plus a ring main and lighting? The flat has central heating so I guess the tenant won't be using electric fires, etc. It is a one-bed flat.

Perhaps I should install a master fuse between the coin meter and the flat's fuse box?

Thanks again,

Frank

Reply to
Frank

PS.. The cable supplying the flat is that standard, flat, white twin-core and earth cable and is 15mm wide, overall. It has insulated red and black cores (each coe is 6mm thick *including its insulation*. Is that adequate for supplying the flat, including the said cooker and shower?

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
Frank

This sounds iffy all-round to me - who owns the property ?

I think this should be looked at by an electrician tbh - sub-mains should really be in steel wire armoured afaik, and there should be a switched fused isolator next to the main incomer to the property for each flat prior to the run of the sub-main to each.

It sounds like these "flats" have been done on the cheap, and I suspect there are likely to be problems elsewhere, such as the size of the incoming cable to the property as a whole, before it gets split to however many "flats" they thought they could get out of it.

It may be a *fire hazard* if you try sticking anything substantial on the current "installation", which I don't think would actually pass the wiring regs as they stand.

I've been out of the "hands on" game for about 15 years now, so others will be better able to advise.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I own the property.

It is a house that was converted to just two one-bed flats, so I guess the existing incoming cable should suffice. Later, I intend to get a second mains supply, but in the meantime, I just want to run both flats from the single mains supply.

Thanks for the comment. I do want the wiring to pass a surveyor's report, when I come to sell one fo the flats shortly. Perhaps I should get an an 'electrician tbh' as you suggest. What does the 'tbh' stand for? Any tips on choosing a reasonably-priced but effective one? My budget is extremely tight, but if it's the best thing to do, I'll do it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

"to be honest"

None at all i'm afraid, but your first question to them should be "are you Part P qualified"

I'm guessing most that you find in the local paper won't be - and it's now a legal requirement.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Why? Apart from looking *incredibly* cheap-and-nasty to prospective tenants, they can be a right management pain in that you have to keep emptying them (and account for the income), and tenants can break them open so easily.

Also bear in mind that you as a landlord have a duty of care for your tenant's safety, and putting lighting on a coin meter, so that the lights cut out unexpectedly leading to accidents, could give rise to liability.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You do have planning permission and building regulations approval for this conversion don't you, including now Part P certification for the electrics?

You have separated the two flats' electrical installations completely, supplied main and equipotential bonding to both flats, and arranged separate incomers and metering with the supply company?

You are aware that supply companies will *not* accept submains to one flat being run through another flat? They also usually require meters in externally-accessible meter cupboards.

You have arranged for isolation and earthing of communal TV aerials, satellite dishes and the like?

You have had the propert separated into two separate dwellings with the Land Registry, and arranged the appropriate covenants and wayleaves in the new deeds regarding communal areas, access, services, repairs etc?

"to be honest"

If your budget is tight it is extremely unwise to cut corners that lead to difficulty in selling, a lower sale price, and loss of profit. Some things have to be spent on to do the job right.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:45:02 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

No need for SWA foir submains, just suitably sized cables.

Correct.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:57:51 +0100, Frank mused:

I wouldn't neccesarily change it to seperate supplies just for the sake of it. Best bet is get some advice from an electrician as to what the best solution would be and what the current supply can handle .

If you're renting you should really have had some sort of test performed at some point. Regardless of budget, it's a responsibility of yours.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for your comments

Sounds like a good idea, for several reasons. Is there any specific test I should ask for, or just ask them to test the electric cirquits? It would be great to have a certificate of some kind to show that the cirquits had been tested to some standard or other.

Frank .

Reply to
Frank

Teh conversion was done a long time ago. I think there is a certificate of lawfulness somewhere.

No - I may want do that in the future, but would prefer to avoid the expense for now.

I wasn't aware of that, but thanks for the comment. If I ever decide on a second supply co meter, I'll have to go along with whatever policies they have in that respect.

No, because there aren't any.

No, not yet. I will do when the time comes.

Makes sense - thanks for the comment. I just hope the elecrician I choose does the job right.

Frank.

Reply to
Frank

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:20:57 +0100, Frank mused:

Periodic test report. If you get hold of your preferred electrical contractor telling you just want an electrical certificate for some rented property you have should suffice.

Reply to
Lurch

I've never thought of them that way, and have never found them a management pain. But I don't have many flats to manage (usually one only). I've found that they only need emptying about once a year. I would have thought that *not* having a coin meter (and letting the tenant get billed directly from the supply co) would be much more of a management pain - like if they run off owing the supply co money, followed by supply co refusing to supply. You don't think so?

Never had that happen yet, in 15 years, but I do pick my tenants carefully.

Thanks - that's a good point that I had never thought of before. But actually, the one flat that will have the coin meter will be the one that I will be occupying, so it's not really an issue, as I see it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Nope. If the tenant is the holder is registered with them for the=20 usage at that address, it's the tenant alone who is responsible.

If they move without paying, it actually puts *you* in a better=20 position, in that if they took all their =A31 coins from a coin meter=20 with them, you would still have to pay the bill (as it's your name on=20 the account)

If they flit without paying their bill with the electric co. you can=20 simply give them any forwarding address you may have and let them=20 worry about retrieving the costs.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yep, and if you ask the electricity co to put a powercard meter in, they can't run up huge debts either. Nothing to stop the tenant getting the meter changed back to a credit one for cheaper electricity, though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain