How much is a pair of glasses?

The "two pairs" deals are for identical lenses [1]

tim

[1] though you can sometimes have one bi/vari-focal and the other not.
Reply to
tim......

Isn't any different to any other "name"

Designer shirts (for example) are made on exactly the same production line using exactly the same materials and exactly the same staff as "buy three for a tenner" from Tesco

tim

Reply to
tim......

I suppose that might be useful for a very occasional user who is prone to forgetting where they put their glasses down. Not much use if, like me, they are on your nose whenever you are awake.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They use a machine in ASDA, I have not looked at how it works, yet.

Reply to
dennis

There is no law that requires you to have spare glasses AFAIK, you may not be able to continue to drive if you break the only ones you have.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" wrote in news:52b48f97$0 $59754$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I use ASDA and they don't use the maching for that measurement - the dispensing optician uses a 6" ruler.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Specsavers offer a wide range.

Reply to
bert

In message , tim...... writes

And if you suffer from astigmatism you've no chance

Reply to
bert

I only use mine for distance

They are now too strong for me to keep on whilst I use my computer so I put them down (somewhere)

But when I don't have them on, if I have left them on something in a similar colour I can't see well enough to find them :-)

(I cam always find the spare - they're in a bright red case)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Are opticians obliged to give this information?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Yes they should give you a prescription copy. You need to know a measurement too (think it's betweent the pupils)

Reply to
mogga

Inter-pupilary distance. That is the bit the opticians are not obliged to give you. It is not difficult to measure it yourself. Hold a ruler across the bridge of your nose and look in a mirror works well enough. In principle in will vary a bit depending on how far ahead you are looking so IPD for distance glasses may not be the same as for reading.

Reply to
djc

The problem is that there are several other factors for which which a good optician will make allowance that cannot be done without the person being present. Each lens has a spot on it which *must* fall exactly in the correct place relative to the pupil. The position is affected by the position that the pupils are from the centre line of the frame (rarely the same both sides), whether or not the pupils are level (rarely), the height of the ears, hence whether or not the frame is level (rarely the same both sides). In other words, it is not possible to accurately prepare spectacles on line.

Reply to
Bob Henson

In message , tim..... writes

I only use mine for close work. (The TV glasses live next to the control buttons:-)

Generally I carry them hung from my neck by a granny string. They could live in a case in a pocket but I rarely wear a jacket. Overall pockets would mean I am doing something which requires good vision at 1 to 3 feet frequently enough for accessing glasses to be a nuisance.

The only downside to the string is that you have to lean forward when hugging ladies.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They did for me and the wife.

Reply to
dennis

My retinal image from SS was very poor quality. Next test (which was very soon afterwards for various reasons) I went to a well regarded non-chain - and their picture was fantastic. This was important as an oddity was clearly visible which needed to be checked out properly. On the SS one they muttered something then shoved it into my file.

Reply to
polygonum

I think they would be if you followed through with a Subject Access Request under the DPA. Other than that, I think not.

Reply to
polygonum

You think wrong.

Reply to
Huge

Sorry - got distracted by things here and that was meant to be specifically about the pupillary distance - not the overall prescription.

Reply to
polygonum

Another plus for a monocle!

Reply to