How much gas...

...is left in my barbecue's Calor gas bottle?

I've been using it for yonks but it just seems to go on and on. Is there a reliable way of finding out how much is left in it? Weigh it?

Si. Never knowingly on topic.

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

You can buy magnetic temperature sensing indicators - put one on the cylinder (towards the bottom) when you are using it. During use, the liquid section gets much colder than the gas above it and you can see where the interface is on the indicator by a change in colour.

Or slosh it about - if you can feel/hear the liquid clearly there's quite a bit left in.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Wasn't there something about damping the outside and seeing what level the condesation is at?

Reply to
mogga

You got any digital bathroom scales? put the bottle on the scales and write down the weight in kilo's then deduct the bottles weight which is printed on the bottle. Whatevers left is whats left in the bottle.

Reply to
George

Lateral thought.

Keep a spare and not have the problem.

I have a local supplier who will deliver gas and also water softener salt, including taking it from his truck to the places of use at the back of the house.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But even when there's no liquid in it - i.e. when there's still only gas under pressure - it's still got a lot of life in it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's the best plan, and will be done.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks all. Comments and suggestions noted. It does slosh quite well so there must be a fair bit in it yet.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Hmmm... how long does x kg of gas last? Depends on the device using it...

I'll buy a new bottle :-)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

My wife collects our gas bottles. By bike.

(13kg propane, in a trailer)

Reply to
Clive George

"Clive George" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Are you boasting, or offering a delivery service?

Reply to
Adrian

Another way of telling that the gas is about to run out is the smell. I used 13kg propane bottles on my houseboat for years and found that for the few days before the gas ran out the cooker would start to smell more strongy of 'gas'.

I suspect this is because the chemical they add to to the gas to make it smell has a higher boiling point than propane so the concentration of it rises as the bottle empties.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

There is no gas if it sloshes, because it's either liquid or vapour.

'll get me coat...

Reply to
LSR

I used 13kg propane bottles on my houseboat for years and found that for the few days before the gas ran out the cooker would start to smell more strongy of 'gas'.

That's true, I'd forgotten about it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Give her a challenge and upgrade to a 47kg bottle.

Reply to
1501
1501 wrote in

What? And not leave room for the paper round?

Reply to
PeterMcC

The newer cylinders (Patio Gas) have a guage on them. B&Q do them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Bring it inside the house overnight then put it outside in the morning. Look for the condensation line as it cools down.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

What does the guage measure? For liquified gasses there's no pressure change until the liquid all runs out, and at that point you are effectively empty.

OTOH, I don't actually know what patio gas is.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just a marketing ploy I guess

The Medway Handyman