HOW much for a desk reading lamp??

£349.99 for a 35W halogen reading lamp. I wonder if Russ Andrews owns the company?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In article , Tim+ wrote:

And that 35w halogen produces 10 times more light than a 60w bulb. Even more Russ Andrews.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I paid £3 for my Anglepoise (tm) in a charity shop.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oh well, you can still buy halogens for another 2 years anyway...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I have to say that compared with CFLs, I am happy to go all LED these days

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bargain. I wish I could find one for that money.

Reply to
GB

I see it's got ophthalmic healing properties too.

Reply to
Graham.

gclid=CjwKEAjwxce4BRDE2dG4ueLArHMSJADStCqMVAhJKlbdy9bXHrvSKD3hM99z3Tm8D7jextY- tMW2NhoCYVbw_wcB

No. He'd be charging over £1000 just for the mains lead, get get higher quality light!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Does seem a little odd, who would read under a halogen light in the first place? Even RNIBs lights with different colour temperatures are less than 100 notes for the most all singing and dancing ones. Most use LEDs or cfls with special phosphers.

There is even a battery or mains one as I recall.

Of course this particular one might be an antique? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

At the other end of the scale, my 'desk' (actually an old machine lamp mounted on a pivot on the filing cabinet) lamp cost nowt from work, went:

60W GLS - 11W CFL (needed a mod. and este sring) - 3.5W, 250 lm LED - GU10 adaptor+4W, 350 LM, 400K, 120 deg. MR16 LED and is bloody brilliant!
Reply to
PeterC

oh aye?

Reply to
PeterC

gclid=CjwKEAjwxce4BRDE2dG4ueLArHMSJADStCqMVAhJKlbdy9bXHrvSKD3hM99z3Tm8D7jextY- tMW2NhoCYVbw_wcB

I obtained a used Luxo lamp in 1974. It died about three years ago and I bought a replacement - cost me about £90. (this is with a desk clamp)

The switch failed after about 18 months - a silly one-way rotary device. Replaced that with an inline switch.

Bought two other Luxos 12 years ago (quite a lot cheaper) and they are still going strong. Unlike the latest one, they are not ES either.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Halogen still provides the best working light of any at a reasonable cost, excepting energy use. Which really isn't going to be much of an issue when we're talking 35w or so.

The needs of those with sight problems may well be different from those with 'normal' vision.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a 100w (approx) mains halogen in the anglepoise on my electronics workbench. Ideal for examining PCBs etc for problems. If I could find an LED which would produce the same light output and quality, I'd be happy.

I'm only interested in saving running costs if I can get the same results. The light is the more important thing to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's 10 times brighter than the 60W bulb that is 10 times further away from the book you are reading:-)

Reply to
ARW

No, just a blatant attempt to con vulnerable scared people into parting with silly amounts of money for a light.

This annoys me much more that Russ Andrews who is only selling tat to audiophiles/audiophools who have far more money that sense and are knowingly buying "luxuries".

Tim

Brian Gaff wrote:

Reply to
Tim+

There fixed that for you ;-)

Phosphor for fluro has a few years more research behind it, LEDs can have a heat and toasted phosphor issue, there are a number of remote phosphor lamps about.

Halogen has a considerably more continuous spectrum and understood colour rendering...

Not to say that some people don`t have a genuine sensitivity to some sources:

The area inhabited, probably under a rock , by `you cannot be` Serious Readers is also home to Dr Ott

Personally for a premium halogen lamp , do actually like Solux, output altered by the dichro reflector

Adam Aglionby

A genuine Anglepoise costs a fortune these days.

Reply to
pamela

It seems that £349 for a desk lamp isn't that dear.

The floor lamp is much more!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

See a couple of problems with their claims:

****Based on Tolomeo lettura halo aluminium reading lamp using a 70W haloge n bulb at a cost of £2.29, electricity cost of £0.10 per kWh and 154,000 hours duration

eh? comparing it against this completely different Artemide lamp :

2

This is all clearly nonsense as by time get to page 2, Feautures , lost 10,

000 hours...

Stays bright for 144,000 Hours ?

?Calculated lifetime based on LED L70.

But which is it?

same paragraph:

Heat pipe technology cools LEDs to sustain brightness over

154,000 hours***. Stays bright for 144,000 hours***

Problem being of course that L70, Life 70 point where output has dropped to 70% of intial output is quoted by major LED manufacturers, in ideal condit ions, at 50,000 hours.

Claiming L70 more than 3 times this is acting as a stranger to the truth... .

Personally think Dyson have some questions to answer.

0800 298 0298

Our UK based Helpline is open from 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday - Friday and 8.0

0am to 6.00pm Saturday and Sunday.

snipped-for-privacy@dyson.co.uk

Reply to
Adam Aglionby