How much do they charge to fit guttering? (So I can wok out whether to DIM)

"Kat" wrote | >>What I was thinking of seems to be called boom lifts in HSS-speak, | Yes. Actually, contrary to what I said, £151 for a day's hire is | probably much handier than having a scaffold erected.

If you do get it, plan your work and materials to make the most of the day's hire. Obviously check and clean the gutters, visible wonky slates etc., but also think about bargeboards and upstairs window cleaning / painting, outside lights, etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In the North... o 3-bed semi-detached o Removal of all old guttering (cast-iron brackets & uPVC) o Replacement with unpainted black uPVC guttering o Four quotes ranging from £450 to £550 inc VAT

The latter being an industrial place (Warrington, Cheshire). That doesn't include painting bargeboards incidentally.

Quotes were for insurance claim, storm ripped the neighbours off and took mine with it, sending it through a garage roof too.

All tend to club-hammer the old brackets off, so DIY might be able to do it more neatly with extra brackets around joints. Hiring lifts protects pebbledash & frames from ladders BTW.

If you want stainless fasteners for DIY,

Dorothy Bradbury

Nice tips - thanks!

Kat

Great suggestions - thanks. I have to paint the whole rear of the house too, which I can't get at via a ladder, so it'll be a boon for that too. All I need is a vehicle with a tow bar with which to get the thing to my house. I'm working on that...

Kat