How much are you spending on heating per day during this cold spell?

Surely only if Mr Cockerel left his calling card?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Don't have any though I could hire from our neighbours. Not sure how well skis cope with deep soft dry powder snow, they might be more of hinderance than a help, snow shoes?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I some how knew you where going to say something like that. B-)

I wonder what would happen if the weather *really* closed in down south. And the large supermarkets couldn't get the dozen or more deliveries they get every day and thus run out of bread, milk, fresh veg etc and all the other food shelves become bare?

We have enough food to go about a week without stepping outside, might get a bit monotinous but we wouldn't starve. We also have back up heating, cooking and lighting and a small generator. If things got really bad I'd hunt the rabbits and pheasants, we are normally vegetarian BTW... Sorry fluffy bunny but if it's between you and me it'll be me that survives.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not well enough informed about chickens and eggs. Do chickens just lay without being served by a cockerel at least once?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And 6 miles back, nota bene!

One you have to order specially by phone. However, the slightest slippery surface and it doesn't run.

A few years ago at my previous location I used to walk 3 miles home from the garage when I dropped my car off for servicing or MoT. But 12 miles is a different kettle of fish entirely.

MM

Reply to
MM

I bet I'm closer to Hamburg, though...

MM

Reply to
MM

My backup is two cans of Camping Gaz for the 2-burner stove, plus loads of tea lights, 3 packets of cereals (crunchy nut [Aldi brand], fruit 'n fibre, muesli), 3 litres of milk, various tins of: rice pudding, tomatoes, carrots, etc, loads of dried pasta and rice, four baking potatoes, a pork steak, 3 Lincolnshire sausages, pack of Polish sliced sausage, pack of Spanish sliced salami, Flora, and several bottles of various sauces. I've also got plenty of bread, four eggs, and a jar of Bovril and I reckon one can go quite a long way with just Bovril on toast. This BTW is the re-beefed-up version.

I've often wondered which single food one would last the longest on, given a desert island situation, but no fish. Suppose you could choose just one food, which one would keep you alive the longest?

My money's on eggs.

MM

Reply to
MM

Until you get cholesterol poisoning :-) (though they were specifically fried)

Reply to
Clive George

no, they work. hard going though up hill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:) I'm _that_ predictable?

We always have a good supply of staples in the house, and could eat for a week without much monotony, and another week boringly. Like you, we have multiple backups for heating, cooking, and lighting. It's decades since I skinned a rabbit, but by the third week, I'm sure I'd be ready to try...

Reply to
S Viemeister

When the local TV transmission goes down, we pick up Norwegian shows...

Reply to
S Viemeister

It's definitely harder work breaking fresh deep snow than following tracks, but that can be an advantage downhill, and you can cover some significant distances even if you're inept like me. Though if there's walls and things in the way a lot of the advantage will be gone. (In Norway the snow seems to be deep enough that you ski over some of the walls :-) ).

Snowshoes are probably technically easier, and better in tight spaces, but will be slower.

Reply to
Clive George

In message , MM writes

Buy a third computer then

Reply to
geoff

In message , MM writes

And why is that relevant ?

do you walk across the water for your supplies , or what ?

Reply to
geoff

Extra pipe in the bottom of the tank he's not noticed before?

Reply to
geoff

No shortage of iron in your diet then.

If never skinned one till the dog caught one. Slit up its belly and just PEELED it.

vague phrase from my mother when undressing us 'skin a bunny?'

It was after 50 years, an apt description.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plenty of protein, not much carbohydrate. A whole grain cereal I think would be better. Carbohydrate to give you energy (to keep warm as well as active), some oil and protein, not enough but better than nothing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's what I thought, our snow doesn't take your weight at all in wellies, I've been up to my waist in the stuff and still not being on the ground (though it is difficult to tell). There is very little resistance to lifting your legs and using your knees to force away through but it's damn hard work. I think it's the semi resistance as you transfer weight and having to have both legs tense as you do so until the one getting the weight stops sinking.

I guess there are skis and skis, short narrow ones for zipping down ice covered hills at suicidal speeds and broad long ones for getting about on the top of deep soft snow.

The walls round here *are* nearly gone.

A probably more effort as you'll be lifting them a bit and any snow on the top for each step.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One of the 'staples' is a container of an iron supplement...

Reply to
S Viemeister