How much are you spending on heating per day during this cold spell?

Stuart Noble wibbled on Friday 08 January 2010 17:04

Smells worse when it's been through a 20' bioreactor. So SWMBO says...

Reply to
Tim W

For me they're quoting, right now, 46.97

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh I've never actually bought oil from BJ, but as a guide they're the only one I know of. Other websites seem to want to know your inside leg measurement before they'll give you a quote.

MM

Reply to
MM

I've only used Chandler's Oil and Gas for the three deliveries I've had in five years. I ring around, but CO&G turn out to be cheapest by a penny or two.

MM

Reply to
MM

I could never be a vegan, except by force. I love meat. Last night I had a delicious pork steak with mushrooms and onions. Previous night a free-range chicken quarter. Not keen on Frosties, though. Far too sweet.

MM

Reply to
MM

Sat at home today while the fitters fitted my new windows in the bedroom and living room at the same time and the door was open a lot of the time as well..I can honestly say I have never felt so cold in my life ...even lying under a duvet with two layers of clothing on and a shooting jacket on it was cold .I then used 2 hot water bottles under the duvet and that made things a bit better but as soon as I moved from there it was back to freezing my nuts off and everthting I touched in the house was as if you had just taken it out of the fridge. Anyway that's the job done so hopefully it'll be a lot warmer from now on once I get the curtains back up and the 2nd rad connected .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Neither could I, like my cheese and milk too much. Meat I can, and do, do without.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

only need to give it a postcode to which they

deliver. Just given me 48.28p/l but again they tend to be high compared to the local suppliers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They won't give me a quote!

Reply to
S Viemeister

But you don't live in the back of beyond...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Just tried Silvey - no go. Probably because I'm not in their area.

MM

Reply to
MM

Huh! I'd say I do! 2 miles from the Wash as the crow flies. 6 miles from the shops. No gritters whatsoever. What snow falls stays there. Local pickup bus cancelled. I'd say this was pretty much beyond hope here. Mind you, it's nice in the spring.

MM

Reply to
MM

What about eggs? Nothing has to die for us to eat eggs.

MM

Reply to
MM

So if eggs aren't alive, how do they turn into birds?

Vegetables are alive too. As are all the bacteria that you constantly ingest and kill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Niether am I,by about 300 miles, just think of post code they do deliver to...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Which part of "only need to give it a postcode to which they deliver." don't you two understand. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

2.5 miles to the local Co-Op but if the weather threatens to close the roads that runs out of bread and milk very quickly. After that it's 20+ miles to Carlisle, Hexham or Penrith for a supermarket same for all other "High St" shops. 6 miles is walkable in a day, even through snow provided it's not more than 18" deep on average. 20 miles is two if not three days under similar conditions...

We do have two gritters and at least one snow blower and a stock of rocksalt in the town. No a lot of choice really when it snows all roads in are blocked. The A686 has been blocked for the last two weeks below Hartside, it did open briefly then it snowed and blew again. By blocked I mean drifts between 6' and 20' deep along several miles of road. The B6277 beyound the Yad Moss ski tow is also closed.

Oh look it's snowing again...

You have a bus! There is one that passes us when the schools are in which you can use. Other than that it would be 2.5 mile walk into town, if you live in the village make that nearly a 4 mile walk. That would include a 400' rise and fall as well, not on the flat. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can easily top that!

40 miles from the nearest supermarket, 5 miles from the nearest bank (which has no ATM), 100 miles from the nearest cluster of department stores. The only local bus, is the PostBus, once a day - but not now, as the (single track) road is blocked.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Skis?

Reply to
Clive George

Eggs I like as well but not many.

I don't think the eggs you buy in the shops are viable, even when laid. Ones from your own chickens probably are though.

Starting to get silly but then meat v vegetarian v vegan is a subject like politics and religion.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice