How much am I saving?

You have the manual for your washing machine. You have the calculations required.

Get to it.

Or just spend* a tenner on an energy consumption doodah, as was suggested several days back in this thread.

  • - Yes, I know. I'm sorry. I realise that's a swear word to you.
Reply to
Adrian

If I had a maths degree I would.

It's 5 letters so its ok.

Reply to
Thumper

Depends on how many times he takes something returned as "clean" and decides it needs washing again ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No, I meant what I said. Take care with the difference between my use of day as in days elapsed, and others use as in period of 24 hours.

I calculated the load at around 22.5W. If that load is on for an *extra*

8h / day, that it an extra consumption of 180Wh per day. So in the space of a working week, that will add up to 1 kWh of electricity saved or about 12p
Reply to
John Rumm

It's probably safe to assume that he's similarly leaving it on whilst asleep - so (for the sake of argument) let's assume a second 8hr period per day, doubling the total...

Reply to
Adrian

Probably very little. Now who gets the say on the use of tumble drier:-) They gob electricity.

And is this nephew of yours actually paying you anything towards his room? Not that I have had good results when I have had lodgers - not only the mad use of the tumble drier on a hot summers day when they could use the washing line - but generally leaving windows open when they go out (or the front door unlocked), smoking in the bedroom and just generally being slobs and leaving the house a tip.

Reply to
ARW

Not such a long time ago, I was looking at being a lodger at a place closer to work, however no one wanted to take anyone so young so that just left a few student houses to look at. I was very quickly put off the idea of moving at all after viewing a few of these student properties; I was viewing them in around May, all of them had the heating on very high when I went, clothes drying all over the place and a general stink too.

Reply to
gremlin_95

He gives me £200 each month by standing order, but there have been quite a few months where he's asked for it back because its left him short. He's also gone out leaving his window open. Generally niggly thing he does late at night is go to bed knowing he's really tired but still turns on his tv. When I go up over an hour later sometimes, he is asleep but tv is still on, as he has forgot to set the sleep timer. Another time recently I heard the fan heater on full blast, he was asleep on top of his bed, so I turned heater off. Then I saw curtains moving, as window was wide open. And tv was on as usual.

Reply to
Thumper

He gives me £200 each month by standing order, but there have been quite a few months where he's asked for it back because its left him short. He's also gone out leaving his window open. Generally niggly thing he does late at night is go to bed knowing he's really tired but still turns on his tv. When I go up over an hour later sometimes, he is asleep but tv is still on, as he has forgot to set the sleep timer. Another time recently I heard the fan heater on full blast, he was asleep on top of his bed, so I turned heater off. Then I saw curtains moving, as window was wide open. And tv was on as usual.

Reply to
Thumper

I'll have to try that line on the electricity bill, the gas bill, the council tax, etc etc etc. D'you think it'll work?

As for the rest, sounds like you really DO need to get hold of a power consumption meter - and start bloody recharging him. Only way he's going to learn.

Reply to
Adrian

On Monday 25 November 2013 23:22 Thumper wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Then:

1) Take the heater away;

2) Take the TV away;

3) Stop giving him back his £200 - he's not learning anything.

Only when he is reduced to eating porridge with water and not going out at all do you consider giving him a break!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are you sharing the same bedroom with him?

Reply to
ARW

No, he has his own room. I only look in on him when I hear something on and its really late, like 1am.

Reply to
Thumper

No, he has his own room. I only look in on him when I hear something on and its really late, like 1am.

Reply to
Thumper

No, he has his own room. I only look in on him when I hear something on and its really late, like 1am.

Reply to
Thumper

One thing he does pay for directly from his bank account is the BT phone bill. Our main landline is VM cable but we also had a BT line on the low user tariff as hardly any calls made from it. Was only about a fiver per quarter line rental. As nephew works for BT Openreach he got BT Infinity broadband for free, and also BT Vision with free BT sports. That was all good until BT billed us the full rate for line rental and BT Vision for employees is not free, just discounted. So he now pays that bill monthly.

Reply to
Thumper