How many TV cables to run?

I am putting in Cat 6 and CT100 everywhere in my home as part of a general re-wire.

I intend to connect my main wideband aerial to a distribution amplifier in the loft. (I don't have a satellite dish, nor do I plan to get one.)

From the amplifier, I will run co-ax to every room.

Most rooms have just one co-ax outlet. The lounge (the main TV room), however, has three runs of CT100. Is three enough considering that I may, at some stage, have cable TV installed in the future?

Reply to
Pandora

I was told that in a few years time (7?) they're going to phase out TV transmissions by standard aerial and everyone will need either cable or satellite. Is that total rubbish? It sounds it to me.

Reply to
Brian

*Analogue* terrestrial transmissions are due to be phased out but the date seems to be slipping, I think it's 2012 or something now. Digital terrestrial transmissions (i.e. FreeView) will continue for the forseeable future.
Reply to
usenet

Depends how it's done. If you intend to have the cable box in the living room and want to feed the signal from that into the house distribution system then all you'll need is a run of co-ax *up* from the living room to the amplifier, and a combiner of some description to combine its signal with that from your aerial *before* the distribution amplifier.

Unless there is some special circumstance, the cable company will want to install their own cable from the street as far as the box. If you want cable internet access then you may need an additional co-ax from the main incoming position to the position of your cable modem, or you may instead need CAT5 from the cable box to your router/whatever (i.e. the modem is in the box). I've seen both systems.

areas will begin analogue switch-off as early as 2007, others will have to wait until 2012. The full list is above, but the first three will be Border, West Country and HTV Wales, the last will be Channel. The BBC should follow that pattern as closely as their regions will allow.

Wales is going to be interesting, especially the Valleys, as there is such a lot of overcrowding at the moment (lots of small relay transmitters) that even four analogue channels is a bit of a squeeze, and digital switchover is likely to be just that - a switchover - rather than a phasing in of one system and phasing out of the other.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

As long as its cable then thats fine. If you may go for Sky+ you might need

4 (2 feeds from dish + 1 aerial feed + 1 signal back to distribution) Thats what I have in my newly rebuilt livingroom
Reply to
Rob Convery

2 feeds to a main point and one to remote points are capable of all uses including Sky+ with return. When I get round to it, I have a new product to go on the website, that makes it all a breeze.
Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

The short answer gained from many years of network installation is that the first rule of cabling is that no matter how careful the plan, and how much prior consultation is done, and how ubiquitous the trunking and cable management, there is always at least one place someone will insist on putting a TV/Computer/Telephone that is utterly impossible to connect to without serious structural alterations.

So give up, and save your energy and money for the concrete chasing wall replacement replastering and redecoration that you will inevitably be faced with when SWMBO decides 'no, the ONLY possible place for the TV is' ...pointing at a corner where there is simply no way to get ANY cables to it without partial demolition and rebuild.

Having done this, she has now decide that the place I wanted to put the TV in the first place is actually where it should go..

GRRRR!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

caption will be placed on an analogue channels transmission saying that that analogue channel will cease. At the given date/time the analogue is switched off and the relevant multiplex moved to the vacated frequency and presumably with an increase in power. The same will happen for the other analogue channels.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice