How many appliances off one fused connection unit?

How many appliances off one fused connection unit?

I have a small window (high up) with a venetian blind. The window is opened by an actuator which is operated by a controller. The blind also has its own open/close motor which is operated by a second controller.

I have to supply mains power to these two controllers. I intend to wire a fused connection unit as part of the ring main (i.e. within the ring, not a spur) and then run some twin and earth from the FCU load terminals to the window actuator controller.

The question is: do I need an additional FCU in the ring main to serve the blind's motor controller? or can I just use one FCU for both the window and blind, with the window controller and blind controller mains connections wired in parallel on the load side of the FCU?

Reply to
Pandora

"Pandora" wrote | How many appliances off one fused connection unit?

As many as you like, within load capacity and reason.

| [window and blind mechanisms] | I have to supply mains power to these two controllers. I intend | to wire a fused connection unit as part of the ring main (i.e. | within the ring, not a spur) and then run some twin and earth | from the FCU load terminals to the window actuator controller. | The question is: do I need an additional FCU in the ring main to | serve the blind's motor controller?

I don't see why.

| or can I just use one FCU for both the window and blind, with the | window controller and blind controller mains connections wired | in parallel on the load side of the FCU?

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Pandora" wrote | How many appliances off one fused connection unit?

As many as you like, within load capacity and reason.

| [window and blind mechanisms] | I have to supply mains power to these two controllers. I intend | to wire a fused connection unit as part of the ring main (i.e. | within the ring, not a spur) and then run some twin and earth | from the FCU load terminals to the window actuator controller. | The question is: do I need an additional FCU in the ring main to | serve the blind's motor controller?

I don't see why.

| or can I just use one FCU for both the window and blind, with the | window controller and blind controller mains connections wired | in parallel on the load side of the FCU?

Yes.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As many as makes sense in the circumstances and does not exceed the fusing or wiring capacity...

I would tend to group them on one FCU since they are related in function, and there does not appear to be an obvious down side not being able to discriminate between faults on one appliance or the other.

You can return your wire from each appliance to the FCU, or daisy chain them (electrically they are in parallel either way).

Reply to
John Rumm