How long to leave reconstructed piers before fixing joists?

I've just ripped out a couple of completely knackered joists from the floor of a downstairs room. Major rot and insect damage.

The mortar in the piers supporting these joists was weak, and gave way whilst the joists were being removed and the mortar being cleaned off the top, so I've just rebuilt these piers using normal bricklaying mortar, and put a bedding layer on top for the bearers to sit on (also taken the precaution of laying a DPC between the piers and the joists this time!).

Now, when I put the bearers back in I will need to nail the joists to them, which will mean a bit of fairly heavy bashing to get the nails in.

How long shoudl I leave the piers before nailing the joists to the bearers to avoid wrecking my not-pretty-but-functional brickwork?

Many thanks

Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

pints of beer in fride divided by pints per day you drink = days to leave it.

I would be thinking a couple of days, my fridge is almost empty .........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

If it standard cement, should be OK in two days from laying. Even at these low temps.

won't be full strength, but should no longer be 'crumbly'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher