How Long Has Lead Free Solder Been Around

Saw this on a Screwfix listing for a solder ring fitting

"Lead-free solder. Proven over 70 years. Use on all direct and indirect hot and cold domestic water services. For commercial and industrial applications. EN 1254-1. WRAS approved and Kitemarked. " Has lead-free solder been around for 70 years ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

A clutch of patents seem to be granted in 1987/88 (US 4695428) but they refer to earlier patents of 1966 (SU 183037) couldn't find any easy link back to earlier applications - not to say there aren't any ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

US 1437641 dates back to 1922, which does describe a lead-free solder, but intended for soldering aluminium or aluminium alloys.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Probably. Pretty useless stuff though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you think it would melt if used to install this "80 kilowatt" boiler from Trading Depot:

?

Reply to
Vortex4

Usenet Nutter wibbled on Thursday 10 December 2009 11:10

I read it as "soldered joints have been around for 70 years".

Which makes the claim a bit of a liberty.

Reply to
Tim W

How do you read that in to the listing ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Usenet Nutter wibbled on Thursday 10 December 2009 12:10

I read it as someone who isn't very clueful advertised the soldered joints as "proven for 70 years", and didn't think "lead free" vs "leaded" made any difference.

Reply to
Tim W

Yeah..You are probably right .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I think "Proven over 70 years." refers to Yorkshire fittings (not that I've checked their age) and the first two sentences would be better swapped.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

Useless in what sense? It does the job, and I find it vastly easier to use than leaded. Maybe I prefer lead-free because I learnt and evolved my technique to cope with lead-free's properties. I tried some leaded recently and made a complete mess of a lot of the joints until I switched back to lead-free.

dan.

Reply to
dent

Well, you have to melt it to use it.

If you mean will it melt when the boiler's in service, then no (unless it's gone very wrong). I think lead-free has a higher melting point anyway, IIRC, but TBH, it doesn't make much difference when soldering pipework IME.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , dent writes

That's due to your poor technique

Lead free suffers from creep and crystallisation for a start

Reply to
geoff

What am I doing wrong, and how can I improve? Being able to do a decent job with leaded solder would be cheaper than lead-free! What is the main difference in technique between the two?

Does this cause real problems with domestic plumbing (e.g., potable where you have no choice but lead-free), and how do you reduce the problems?

dan.

Reply to
dent

At the end of the day, like most things, it comes down to practice glasshopper

No experience with it in a plumbing situation, I have plenty of leaded

Reply to
geoff