How long does plaster skimming take?

This is not the regular sort of question for the group but....

Our builder is taking an age on our house, and I think he's probably doing one (or two?!) other jobs locally at the same time. It took him, supposedly, a whole day to skim over a 4m x 2.7m wall which had already been prepared with PVA. The previous day he skimmed 2 walls

2m x 2.7m.

Am I going to wait for ever for him to finish the job? i.e. how long does it really take to skim a wall?

Dave

Reply to
ddd

Assuming he's using something like Gypsum multi-finish, and in my amateur experience...

It shouldn't really take more than an hours effort to skim a 2m x 2.7m wall. There is a bit of waiting involved before the 'polishing' stage but he should be able to get on with something else and it's probably only about

30-60 minutes or so anyway. Even the mixing is only 10 minutes work plus a 10-15 minute wait. He should easily be able to do both 2x2.7 walls in 2-3 hours.

You wouldn't be able to take a day doing a single wall as the plaster hardens and becomes unworkable within an hour.

Reply to
Brett Jackson

Reply to
Mr John X

Now this I can answer. Plastering is the one thing I get someone in to do (and carpet laying. plastering and carpet laying.)

My plasterer and his mate can skim an average sized room (say 4.5x3.5m) in a day, including ceiling and cleanup. That's 55 suqare metres between two of them, or 27 square metres each. That's over 2.5 times the rate your guy is working at on his best day.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for all the responses.

I guess he's just a pretty typical builder: he's started off well, made a mess, then means to go slow for the rest while he picks up jobs elsewhere, knowing that I'm pretty stuck...

Reply to
ddd

ddd wrote

Roughly 2 to 2 half hours regardless of the size. Plaster sets due to a chemical reaction that starts at the mixing stage through to the final polish, not by how wet it is. A good plasterer is someone who can put a lot on within this time period and still get a good finish.

What you should do is get a price for the whole job rather than a day rate, then you will see how fast someone can plaster, plus it depends on the walls background as to how much can be applied in one go and be kept under control as you can put loads more onto plasterboard where as an old lumpy wall will dry uneven with soft and hard areas so needing more attention.

What does his finish look like?.

Reply to
James

He's found a mug by the sound of it. If that's typical of anything it's typically English.

How fit are you and do you want to kick arse? Get yourself a trowel like his and a bucket a drill and mixing gadget and DIY what's left thee night before he calls and then ask him what the **** he was waiting for as you tend his needs.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil