How long does it take for Grout to dry?

Hi all,

Recently (yesterday) I've had my Bathroom Tilled.

When would it be safe for me to install my Electric Shower and Shower Screen?

This also applies to my Kitchen.... when can I install the sockets etc?

Shay

PS: Is it just me or it Google groups really slow today?

Reply to
Shay

The thinset (used to glue the tiles to the cement board) usually are OK in a couple days.

The grout (fills the gaps between the tiles) are OK after 3 days or so. During this time it it recommended that you spray the grout with a water mist just to keep it damp and retard the cure. Literature recommends it for better end results.

Also, after the three days it is recommended that you apply a grout sealer so that it stays clean and lasts longer. If your tiles are stone seal them as well before installing anything else. That is one extra day.

I followed the practice, just in case. ;-)

Reply to
Rookie_Remodeler

I phoned Bols (Grout Manufacturer) when I installed my bathroom tiles, as the instructions stated that a two week curing process was recommended. Their technical support confirmed this, recommending that the grout was not subject to serious wetting in that time (i.e. don't take a shower without protecting the grout.)

As for fitting sockets etc - I would be happy to do such work after 24 hours from grouting - such activity will not affect the grout curing.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

sockets in teh kitchen? have you got building control approval? that could take longer than the grout drying!

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws