How long does heating oil keep?

Crikey! Last week a neighbour said he'd got it for 35p. Did you try various suppliers? Do you think it's going to go down or up over the next few months? (Katrina aftermath will eventually sort itself out, I expect.)

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm glad a filled up about a month ago at 33p. B-) Well B-( really but compared to 39p, 1600l at 6p/l more is the best part of =A3100...

We are heading to winter, demand will rise and so will the price, it always does. Crude prices have dropped a bit in the last few weeks. But I'm not looking forward to February when we shall need some more.

a pretty good summary, that is generally accurate. Their online quote has just given me 33p, I can normally beat that with local suppliers.

The hurricanes don't help but the sheer demand and shortage of supply are pushing up the price. Not to mention the instabilty in the Middle East, thank you again Bush and Blair...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, all about the same. In fairness the global price had dropped by the time it was delivered, guess which price I had to pay :(

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The online quote won't work for me. I tried my post code, but it comes back with: "It appears that we cannot quote for your postcode online". I tried other post codes both in and out of area, but the response is always the same.

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm wondering if it won't be better to eke out the oil until the spring and use an ambient fan heater, given that the price of leccy is now supposed to work out cheaper. Or is oil just going to rise and rise?

MM

Reply to
MM

Electricity is now cheaper? Does anyone have a handy figure for heat energy produced per litre of heating oil?

Reply to
Matt Beard

I just tried a Bristol postcode and it worked fine.

Reply to
Rob Morley

And how about Calor Gas?

Reply to
Matt Beard

OK, found those for myself now...

  • Kerosene (28.sec) = 10.35kWh / litre
  • Gas Oil (35.sec) = 10.85kWh / litre

So assuming 33p/l for 35sec that would give 10.85kWh for 33p or

3.04p/kWh. (Does this assume a 100% efficient boiler?)

This is very slightly cheaper than I can find for "night-rate" electricity, but you would have to pay higher rate during the day. It is about half the price of "standard" electricity.

Reply to
Matt Beard

get about 10 KwH/l on fuel oil. This puts you in the ballpark of

4p/KwH. Electricity looks like it will not compete cost-effectively, dependent on the boiler efficiency.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Right sort of ballpark. Just calculated /_\H for decane as a guesstimate.

Yes.

that somewhere about 90% is what to expect.

I broadly agree with that. I am not a financial whizz-kid, but my guess is that the price of fuel is likely to remain high until spring. Winter is setting in in the Northern hemisphere where the majority of energy consumers are.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Try PE23 5JJ, PE25 3LL, HP10 9HB - none works.

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , Rob Morley writes

That might be because they are based in Bristol!

Reply to
David

In article , MM writes

I doubt that electricity is cheaper and probably never will be and do you really think other fuels and going to stay at the same price? all are moving up.

Reply to
David

Try

The Natural Philosopher

Crude prices have fallen, and are still falling - peak demand is in summer (petrol/hoilidays) and in late winter (Jan/Feb/March) (hetaing)

In the USA, transport exceed heatingf consumption by about 5:1

Here we may say te average household of two people does 15,000 miles a year at 30mpg, or around 500 gallons of diesel/petrol..thats about 1900 litres of fuel...on domestic mileage alone..never mind te cointrbution of all those trucks bringing your food to the supermarket...the average small house probably burns what - 1500 liters of diesel a year? I burn a lot more, but its a big house...

Anyway...the fact is the prices are coming down, and my best guess is they will come down furher, bottoming out around Early December...and rise for Xmas...and drop a little aftrer..before slowly climbing to ghastly heights in the spring...

Use an onluine quoter lkike boilerjuice.com to see how it all going, and if you can get sub 30p, take it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Elwectricity is made mostly from gas, coal and nuclear power.

Apart from nuclear, the rest are all going up

Electricity will ALWAYS be more expensive than fuel, until its NOT made from fossil fuel.

The days of 'free nuclear electricity' atre long gone...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you think that might be why I tried a Bristol postcode?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In article , Rob Morley writes

Do they deliver outside of the Bristol area?

Reply to
David

Yesterday I got a quote from them for 31.42 pence/litre. Today's quote is 30.75! That's a change of around 2%, which is to my mind significant. How can the price fluctuate so much in a single day?

Predictions for tomorrow's?

MM

Reply to
MM