How long can I run my van without an alternator?

Anyone that knows what they're doing puts the car in top gear when being to= wed, either all the time or at key moments so the necessary vacuum power is= available. The main problem with towing is you're doing 40 or 50 just yard= s behind someone, with absolutely no forward vision or control over what th= ey're doing, and a lot of drivers really have no grasp of the issues the to= wed car faces in such a situation. It can be fun.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hugely so. Nearly all cars have power brakes. With no vacuum for the servo you don't get roadworthy braking.

Trucks with no brake servo became obsolete in the 1920s. Before then drivers of large trucks had to be built like gorillas.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

of large trucks had to be built like gorillas.

My 1948 Morris Commercial and my 1956 Bedford ambulance didn't have power brakes or power steering. The Morris had a double width brake pedal so you could press on it with two feet.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Without electric power for steering in many smaller vehicles. And the steering motor can take quite a deal of power - no idea of the wattage/amperage.

Reply to
polygonum

Yes. Much.

I've driven a TVR Tuscan race car which used a power steering rack with the power disconnected (or rather, never installed in the first place. They do this to get a high ratio rack) and that was OK once the car was moving. Of course, no-one much cares how hard race cars are to manouver.

Reply to
Huge

I guess it depends how good the battery is, if its quite old then its not going to do as well.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It *is* borderline but with 65Ah and provided that it is recharged overnight and recharged again at the other end it might be doable. You also have to avoid overcharging it!

If you have a clamp current meter available then measure the current! Then you will know how many hours battery life you have to flat. I suspect that it is just about doable but not really recommended.

The tricky bit is ending up stuck half way home with a stalled engine. Once the engine is going it will keep running but the headlights will gradually get fainter. Do you have a generator set and battery charger?

Once things are running you are OK but the headlights and maybe the fuel pump represent a serious load (don't listen to the radio!).

ISTR Headlamps and assorted sidelights will total ~20A give or take.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I can't help but think of the top gear hybrid vehicle.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

rote:

ars. ISTR mechanical ignition eating a few amps. 15A 65Ah is 4hrs if fully = charged. Its longer than a car because of the battery capacity.

Is it?

t it. The average petrol tranny is push startable on level ground, I don't = know about diesel. If you've got to preheat it, that'll drain the battery f= ast.

no-one is willing to use a tow rope any more, everyone wants to trailer it= . I've done enough towing to understand why.

Did professionals ever use ropes in the last few decades? Solid towing bars are far more common.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes, and it varies from car to car but once the vacum has gone (the first or possibly second, application of the brakes from loss of power/vacum) braking will require considerably more effort. In my car braking with no vacum left requires one to press the pedal with every ounce of strength you have to get less than 25% of full braking. It will stop but alarmingly slowly...

I suspect that varies from car to car as well. Again mine really needs gorilla arms if the engine isn't running, moving or not.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Neighbour ran out of petrol the other day with car in the middl eof the road outside my house.

I hopped in and ran it backwards down the hill under gravity in order to park it properly, before giving her a lift to the petrol station to fill up a can.

It did take a reasonable amount of foor pressure to control it at just 2mph on a 5% hill!

Reply to
Tim Watts

drivers of large trucks had to be built like gorillas.

That's why I said large trucks. Ambulance/transit sized vehicles could use, I can't think of the term, but the direction of pad movement caused forward wheel movement to presss the pads further into the drum.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

rears. ISTR mechanical ignition eating a few amps. 15A 65Ah is 4hrs if fully charged. Its longer than a car because of the battery capacity.

it. The average petrol tranny is push startable on level ground, I don't know about diesel. If you've got to preheat it, that'll drain the battery fast.

no-one is willing to use a tow rope any more, everyone wants to trailer it. I've done enough towing to understand why.

With professionals, yes

Reply to
meow2222

That begs a question;?...

So how many posh birds are chalked up on the headboard then;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Can you carry a generator and battery charger with you just so you know you can recharge anywhere if you really have to?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Small wind turbine as used by yachts on a roof rack, "If I go any slower officer my lights will go out"

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The roads are quiet around here so it's not too bad, it just takes a little more scanning for possible hazards than I suspect most drivers bother with.

Agreed, but I'm not sure when that became true on the smaller stuff. This truck's a 1967 and I believe they offered power assist when the model was revised in the early 1970s - but I think it was only an option, even then.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Not if you run a temp set of light jumpers through the bulkhead to the passenger footwell - use the jumps to extend the life of the underbonnet battery but disconnect them for starting, obviously.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

don't get roadworthy braking.

Cobblers. I suggest you get on a weight training course to build up your puny muscles. All cars must have useable brakes in the event of power assistance failure. Trouble is, we have bred a generation of wimps who've never driven un-assisted vehicles and spout bollocks about them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

can't think of the term, but the direction of pad movement caused forward wheel movement to presss the pads further into the drum.

It's called self-servoing action, and it's not pads, it's shoes. If you know f*ck all, don't venture tech opinions.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon