how long between coats?

I have just finished undercoating some doors, the undercoat was an old tin but the relevant informtion about how long I need before I can put the gloss coat was covered with paint. Can anyone tell me how long I have to leave the undercoat before I can do the gloss coat? It certainly seems to dry much quicker than gloss coat so I am hoping I can put the top coat on today!

TIA

Angela

Reply to
AngelaK

If all you want to do is put on topcoat, the answer is probably yes, especially if its water based.

If OTOH you want to sand it down first, wait a day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the Dulux trade undercoat I used on friday was anything to go by, it says overpaintable in six hours. Given the heat at the time however I could have done it in less I would expect.

Reply to
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote: > >

you can gloss it as soon as its dry to the touch.

beware of people who dont know the difference between oil based and water based paint and still give advice on it.

Reply to
noelogara

For clarification, the six hours in this case applied to an oil based undercoat. I was also using an oil based high gloss top coat.

Reply to
John Rumm

I painted over it after 5 hours and it looks fine - thanks for the help

Reply to
AngelaK