How important to putty glass in door?

A new mahogany front door with obscure glass panels (with a raised pattern) has been installed with no putty at all.

Am I right in thinking that even long-lasting woods will rot when moisture gets in?

If so, I need to insist that the glass be properly installed - or do it myself, as I've done before, if worst comes to worst.

Reply to
Windmill

Without being bedded in something flexible the glass will probably rattle. Linseed putty is next to useless for this because it dries out and goes rock hard. A general purpose mastic is better.

Classic case of water getting in but being unable to get out. The bottom

1/3rd of each pane is most vulnerable. You could do worse than a thin bead of clear silicone. Fernox do one in a small tube which might be easier than gun and cartridge.
Reply to
Stuart Noble

Most glazing suppliers will sale a glazing mastic comes in a tube,could be that the installer has already used this when bedding glass before beading,worth checking first

Reply to
Alex

In article , Alex writes

If you do get him back the panes must be removed then bedded in with silicone (or other), def not ok to just smear some on the outside as the less scrupulous might attempt. If the door is likely to get touched by any rain at all, it will come pissing in.

Reply to
fred

As far as I have seen, putty is not used to secure glass, that job is done by small panel pins, then the putty is applied. Putty does go rock hard eventually though as you say. It will stay flexible for longer if it is painted regularly. The putty in my windows has finally been replaced after 66 years, but it was in a bit of a state in places, rather like the window paint.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

sprigs, yes.

Not quite a bed of putty is put into the rebate first and the glass offered up to that and firmed into place and held by a few springs or pins, preferably non steel.

Eventually being the operative word ... Kept maintained it'll be soft for a very long time. Even unmaintained it'll still take years to dry out completely.

One of the porches here just uses beading to hold some of the (internal) glass in, rattles like crazy. Must get a tuit for that some time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends on the thickness IME. Sliding sash windows have a small rebate so the putty doesn't last long, whereas casement windows often have 1/2" rebates. Relying on linseed oil not drying seems kind of quaint with all the high tech options at our disposal.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Presumably the glass is retained by a wooden bead ? If so, I wouldn't use putty, I'd use mastic instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Seems then so is a mahogany door?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe but getting old putty off glass or out of a rebate is damn site easier than old mastic or even removing the glass either because the pane has been broken or you simply have a need to change the glass.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It *looked* as though a proper job had been done, though I couldn't absolutely swear to it without taking the beading off again. The heavily-patterned obscure glass makes it difficult to see.

The door is shared between two flats in an old stone-built terrace. The other people wanted a new door similar to others in the street (old door was repairable, but a little shabby), so I got a good one from a joinery firm, we shared the cost, and the other folk arranged installation.

Now they say they're moving and obviously are in a rush - they overpainted the putty when it was just two days old. Needless to say, there isn't much sign of putty now. Most of it probably ended up on their paintbrush.

Sigh.

Is there a D-I-Y guide to dealing with neighbours? The bash-ahead-regardless variety? (repeatedly proved) Who maybe intended to move all along? (They never bought a proper nameplate - perhaps that should have been my clue).

Then again, I'm so slow to cut my grass (not theirs) that maybe they're moving to get away from me!

-- RobRoy, Use m o u l i n e t snipped-for-privacy@See.At.Right @ M i l l r a c e . e d n e t . c o . u k

Reply to
Roy Millar

In article , Roy Millar writes

You're the op yeah?, looks like it & you're both on onetel.

Fairly easy to tell, knock the panes, if they rattle then it's not right, also set a hose on the outside & see if any moisture penetrates, again bad if anything is coming through.

I don't know if that is bad, haven't got on with putty so don't use it (also never thought of it as secure) but others here have said that painting after a 'few' days is ok.

Say hello, even if they're dickheads :-)

Try to ignore, life's to short etc

Funnily enough the main-door property adjacent to mine (part of a block) has changed hands many times over the years whilst my other neighbours have been around for yonks (a nice bunch too), nobody seems to warm to the main-door flat and it is often bought to let out.

:-)

Reply to
fred

Possibly, if it's to be painted then treated softwood is just as good.

Some people don't like treating wood as it requires a bit of extra planning and effort for DIY, or they want a job done as cheaply as possible if getting someone in.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C