how hot will my fire trim get?

Hello,

Can someone tell me a ballpark figure for the maximum temperature that my steel fire trim will be subjected to? It will surround a standard 18" wide fireplace opening. The fireplace is backed with a standard heat-resistant concrete fireback and will house an unenclosed solid-fuel fire burning coal and wood.

The reason I ask is that I am trying to pin down a suitable adhesive for sticking the trim to the render.

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis

I doubt it will exceed 100C.

So some fire resisting "silicone" might be sufficient.

Of you could got right up to flue sealant which stands insane temperatures.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.dionic.net:

Embed some magnets?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Depends if the heat demagnetises them which it might...

Reply to
Tim Watts

My open flame gas fire uses magnets to hold the trim. The weight is taken by the hearth so the magnets only have to keep it standing.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Have you checked the Curie point of typical steels and rare earth magnets.

Reply to
polygonum

Nope. I'll leave that as an exercise. I just said "might" as in "worth checking"

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.dionic.net:

Magnets are established way of doing it, and some trims are sold with magnet kits. It's only my fallback solution, though; I'd prefer sticking the trim in place permanently so it can't be picked off by inquisitive little fingers!

Harry

Reply to
Harold Davis