How high can a consumer unit be installed?

New regs appear to say between 0.75m and 1.2m. Does this apply if I am replacing my old consumer unit and doing a partial rewire because I'd like to place it near the roof at about 2.3m high?

Reply to
clangers_snout

This really only applies to new builds and comes from Part M of the building regs (accessibility for the disabled etc) and is not directly related to the wiring regs. For an existing property the usual rule of thumb is to make it no worse than it was originally.

Common sense suggests that placing it somewhere where it can be reached easily in the dark[1] without the need to stand on anything to reach it is a good idea. 2.3m may be getting a bit high for this to be true.

[1] Always worth fitting a non maintained emergency light near the CU powered from the local lighting circuit anyway.
Reply to
John Rumm

If you're changing from a fuse to MCB unit, I'd make sure it is within reach of the occupants, as the lighting MCBs will likely trip each time a bulb blows - unlike fuses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When did this rule come to be? Mine is considerably higher, whilst not a new build it was completely re-wired 2 or 3 years ago.

Reply to
Fred

The oldest version of part M I can see is 1999.

Reply to
John Rumm

It helps to use type C MCBs on lighting circuits. However if you are fond of mains halogens then they won't help much (I have seen them take out re-wireable fuses)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's interesting - so much for new rules being observed by accredited electricians!

Many thanks.

Reply to
Fred

We used to have 6 x 240v halogens in our kitchen and they took out the

5A fuse every time. Now have a nice new split load CU and no halogens :-)

Our CU is about 2 metres up because that is where the old fuseboard was.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Part M applies to when the house was built - not the place re-wired. If the house pre-dates part M there are sure to be any number of ways in which it does not comply (things like a step over the front door threshold rather than the completely flat path through that lets the rain in as favoured these days).

Hence the odd non compliance during re-wiring is not going to alter the overall compliance of the house IYSWIM.

Reply to
John Rumm

My house built 2000regs, has the consumer unit up agaisnt the ceiling. The BCO didn't bat an eyelid: I assume that he felt that CU's fall outside disabled regs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, there's no restriction on ceiling height, except for above staircases :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not here it doesn't. ;-)

I've got quite a few but never had a fuse blow. Luck, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was not suggesting that a type C won't trip - just it should do it less often than a type B.

(I have type C ones here and still get the occasional trip)

Possibly, having said that there are factors beyond your control that will have some effect, like your supply impedance.

Reply to
John Rumm

And remember if you live in a flood plain area to site it so it gets submerged asap. (!) Do the height regs consider that?

Reply to
dave