How heavy is a wooden shed?

I want to move the old shed in my garden.

It is a 8x6 wooden apex job.

Assuming i remove all the crap from inside it first, roughly how heavy is it going to be? If I get a few mates round could 4 of us lift it 10 ft or so by hand?

Whatever previous owner put it in the garden located it really far away from the wall, leaving me a large dead area behind it which i want to eliminate.

Reply to
Tom Woods

no probs

Reply to
flybywire

22 cwt 3 quarters 4 stones 3 lbs 4¾ oz 2½ grains. Approximately.

Does it have a base? What sort of construction is it? (featherboard, T&G,?) What's the roof ? (T+G, chipboard, OSB, plywood?). Any windows? (glass can be quite heavy)

That depends on the alcohol content of the mates...

);-

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Probably not too heavy for four people.

Is the structure rigid enough to stand being lifted or is it going to collapse like a pack of cards?

It might be best to slide it on planks put under the base if there are no level changes.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

Don't forget that a SMALL dead area behind is very useful for future access to the thing, for example painting it, replacing roof felt, etc. etc. I wouldn't put it RIGHT up against the wall!

Good luck.

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

In message , Tom Woods writes

How are you going to store all the rubbish out of sight if you eliminate the dead area? Old bikes, broken fences, drainpipes, etc.

I reckon there's a good half a skip's worth behind and alongside my garage. Previous owner was supposed to clear it up, but didn't. Also left two of those big bags full of junk and a switched-off freezer with food (or what used to be food) in it. Took the lawnmower and the bikes she was supposed to leave, though.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

=============================== A couple of planks and one or two 6' lengths of scaffold tube and it's a one man job.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I have two 8 x 6 foot sheds complete with wooden floors, holding bicyles and garden furniture etc. I have moved them now several times complete with contents single handed! OK they are on a firm concrete area which makes it easier. All I do is use a garden shovel to lift up one corner, and slide short lengths of scaffold pole under, then roll to where I need it. You need three poles. Put the shed on two - roll it and as one pole emerges replace with the third. (My sheds block my side entry hence relatively regular shifting!)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Me and a few mates moved a very heavy old chicken house, made of timber and corrugated iron by inserting scaffold poles under it and dragging it

40 yards down the track. I think you could probably pick up an 8' x 6' shed and walk around with it if you had someone on each corner and it was structurally rigid. How about bolting two 12' pieces of graded 4" x 2" to each side as temporary carrying handles? Or devise a complicated system of rollers...
Reply to
Andrew

I've moved them in the past by sliding on planks. Easy, peasy.

Reply to
Huge

What about Latvians,Croats,Albanians...would they do as well or are Poles more reliable and hard working .and easier to roll over ? :-)

Reply to
Stuart B

concrete

Certainly the poor old Poles have had to roll over rather too often in their recent history - something to do with being between where megalomaniacs are and where they want to go !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

it looks and feels pretty solid, but i guess there is only one way to find out... :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yeah, i was going to leave a small gap i could just squeeze up. The gap behind it now would currently fit another 8x6 shed in - which is a bit excessive when the garden is limited!

Reply to
Tom Woods

have you not thought about putting them on castors? :)

I might try rolling it. currently on brick stacks over soil (I think), but i might lay some slabs in its new location to make life easier.

Reply to
Tom Woods

That stuff is going round the side of it (the side i cant see from the house!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

thanks everybody. I'll either get a few mates round with the offer of a few pints (shed moving to be done before the drinking!), or might try it with a fw scaffold poles and a big lever.

Reply to
Tom Woods

But if you leave the shed where it is you can fit that other 8x6 shed you've always wanted in behind it without the domestic manager complaining.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have considered that, but i think it will look nicer if i move this shed to the edge and fit another one in along the edge next to it :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

It happens that Tom Woods formulated :

I did exactly that, 6 months ago. It took four and two 10 foot scaffold poles placed side to be able to get hold of it. It was just about do-able, though would have been better/easier rolled had the ground been more even.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield