How have the mighty fallen? OT.

Well, some GPs have decided to refer patients to homoeopathists, it's not part of the general service.

Pity though ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:32 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

You are jumping to an incorrect conclusion.

Nobody said that removal of public sector *delivery* automatically leads to a for-profit arrangement. That can be one option for those who wish to choose it. other options can include non-profit foundations, charitable trusts etc. etc.

There is virtually nothing that can be done better in the public sector. healthcare delivery is a primary example of something in which the public sector, in the sense of central administration, should have no involvement.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:01:31 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

I don't need to prove it. Do you really think that an organisation of this scale can do a proper job? It would be the first time in history if so

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why don't you organise it, Andy? You could do that in the morning and give medical advice and dental treatment in the afternoon.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Great minds think alike. I was going to say that too.

Reply to
June Hughes

Following up to Andy Hall

right, so it is then.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Andy Hall

you need to prove it, not just assert your political view.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Andy Hall

Now, thinks, would that be useful to the NHS?

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Andy Hall

like the NHS

Reply to
The Reid

Nope.

With reference to Robert Townshends book "Up the Organisation"

AAMOF ctually referring to the joint use public purchasing schemes in the US, but the NHS is certainly no better.

" For They actually *do* pay more for a pencil than you do at the 5 & 10 cents store". < NB from memeory>.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Mike, as any fule no you are not *allowed* to do d-i-y with gas!

As I am sure *you* knew!

Reply to
Ophelia

I'm tempted! I'm tempted!:-) After all, homeopathy is the ultimate in quack medicine! There! I('ve said it!:-) Graham

Reply to
graham

He was still thinking of the barmaid when he wrote that:-) Graham

Reply to
graham

Probably:)

Reply to
Ophelia

The social security benefits bill would soar and the private sector would be inundated dealing with job applications from people incapable of honest hard work.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh dear Ophelia, you've unleased the demons now and are going to get thwapped with multiple citations of the Gas Safety Regulations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:17:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote (in article ):

It isn't. Despite qualifying for free prescriptions according to the current system, I cannot get a prescription for certain supplies that are recommended by the NHS's own clinical policy organisation, NICE.

That's a simple example. I am sure that you will have read about the debacle concerning Herceptin.

I could quote series of examples longer than your arm. It is not even close to being a universal and free service.

It is rather sad that there are still people around with the misconception that it is. Clearly the NHS marketing machine has done a good job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:01:04 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

This is ridiculous. It very obviously is not.

How many examples would you like?

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:01:04 +0100, The Reid wrote (in article ):

There is only one useful thing that could be done to the NHS, and that is to shut it down.

It is not necessary to have over a million people on the payroll to negotiate a good generic drugs deal with Novartis, Roche or whoever the favourite supplier is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:15:54 +0100, Clive George wrote (in article ):

No. Nobody said anything about private and for-profit organisations bing the only alternative to a state run megalith. There are many other corporate statuses that could be used for structures for primary and secondary healthcare.

Reply to
Andy Hall