How fat is the hose from a vented tumble dryer?

I would like to buy a second hand tumble dryer only to be used very occasionally. I've seen a vented one for 30 quid but I'm not sure if it will be suitable. I've got a little utility area which has a worktop and underneath is just enough space for a washing machine and the tumble dryer, ie it's about 130cm wide and only a few cms free space under the worktop. So I'm not sure I could bring a fat pipe through to the front, to then put through a door or window when in use. I could vent to the back or side through a 10 inch old london yellow brick wall but am not sure how big the hole would need to be. I've only got a cheapo hammer drill and don't really want to go hiring expensive equipment as I'd be better off buying a condensing dryer? Any suggestions?

Reply to
jgkgolf

The hoses are 4 or 5 inches in diameter - but very flexible, so you can bend them round quite tight radii.

If you go out through the wall, you'll need a 110mm hole. A core drill would be best - but you can make an adequate hole by drilling a ring of small holes from each side, and then using a cold chisel.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You can do it much easier than that. If you look around you should be able to get a through-wall fitting kit, which includes a round to square converter to go on the inside wall, a rectangular duct roughly half a brick in section, and an external louvred cover.

All you have to do is measure carefully, chop out half a brick on the outside, use a long masonry drill to mark the 4 corners, then chop out inside. I didn't even need to make good the plaster, the interior plate easily covered everything.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Whats the outside bit like? Can "things" like insects and rain get in?

Reply to
Mogga

Normally a flap or set of louvre flaps

Rain no as the vent flap closes when there is no air blowing from the drier

Insect probably but any fine mesh in the vent would stop the small fabric particles escaping and eventually block the pipe. I have seen some with a removable mesh (possibly home made) however.

Tony

Reply to
TMC

If you do decide to put one in, keep the outside hole up a bit off the ground, I've known rodents to use them as an entrance more than once, the fitting kit will probably stop this however.

Reply to
Phil L