How expensive is tunnelling?

That sounds like an awful lot of work and risk for not much return. :)

Reply to
GB

I thought the hoppers in ATMs were loaded with that blue dye which goes of if they're forced open ?

Although I have a vague memory that savvy crims freeze the boxes first ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Presumably nobody thought it necessary to protect the underside.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Depends a bit on how big the gang is.... If its only a couple of people, then 40K each is not too bad a return, especially if they can pull it off a few times a year.

Reply to
John Rumm

That was my first thought - they'd have been better off working for a living.

Reply to
Huge

But they are criminals, by definition thick as pigshit.

Many years ago, I had a gf whose mum was a probation officer. She had all but given up on rehabilitation, as most crims think crime pays. She once sat a 19 yo offender down, who was doing 2 years for robbery, and worked out for him (because he couldn't count to 11 without taking a shoe off) that his crime had made him about 10p an hour, when you worked out how long he was serving for it - with the added indignity that he'd had the money (goods) taken away by the police anyway.

He still thought he'd made £500 in a day.

The only consolation, IME, is that the police we employ to catch said criminals are marginally less thick, so on balance we're fairly safe.

There's no such thing as a clever criminal. Except for the ones we never know about because they don't get caught.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Do those machines typically have 80k in?

Reply to
GB

The Mirror states they got away with £86k. That must be right, as it's in the noospaper.

Reply to
GB

Did she include the cost of 2 years free board and lodge, tv, xbox, council tax, travel etc. etc. etc?

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

ROFL.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

AIR she demonstrated that he would have had more money after 2 years if he had worked at McDonalds, than by thieving - even if he had to pay for those things.

20 years ago there were no Xboxes. And despite what the Daily Mail would have you believe, Feltham YOI was not a hotel.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

It varies - if you pick one that is heavily used, and go for it shortly after a refill then quite possibly. Less well used ones might be loaded with £25K

Reply to
John Rumm

Meh, 90% of McDonalds employees are on zero hours contracts, so there is no guarantee of any money at all.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

I don't suppose they would be able to come up beneath. How could they measure it?

Reply to
harryagain

As I said, this was 20 years ago.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Please snip when replying - it makes it so much easier to read :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A tape measure, or even a piece of string, will give distance. A couple of sighting sticks, a laser pointer or, if they know surveying techniques, a plane table will give direction.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

brain vessel

;_>

Reply to
Tim Watts

The last one attacked this way only had £6,000, as it had not been refilled after the New Year bank holiday:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar