how does an electrical mains-tester work?

Could someone please explain to me how an electrical mains-tester works, the sort where you touch a live wire with a screwdriver-type tip and a bulb lights up when you push a button with your thumb.

Presumably the current flows in one direction, namely from the cable to the tip. And you are earthed. So why doesn't it try to complete a circuit by going through you? And the bulb surely hasn't got an enormous resistance?

What am I missing?

Thanks for any enlightenment here!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

That's exactly what it does

It's not an incandescent light bulb, it's a neon with a high impedance series resistor

"voltstick" type of tool is a good replacement.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does go through you, but there is an enormous resistance built in to the screwdriver and the current is very low (the neon lamp needs only fractions of a milliamp), and you usually don't feel it.

The current flows both ways as both the neon lamp, and usually the circuit you're testing, are AC (although it will work fine on DC too), but otherwise nothing.

However, there are battery powered versions of the same thing, which use a button cell, integrated circuit, and LED, and these will work at lower voltages than the 90V required for an neon lamp to light.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Most are neons with a very low current so they can usually light with just the body on tother end oft, neon. I don't think anyone makes neon screwdrivers any more, Health and safety etc.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had some green neons that struck at 50 volts.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian

plenty showing on Google - usually called mains tester.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

There's more than one way to make a green neon, but they usually rely on a fluorescent coating, and the actual discharge is a dim white colour (but it's UV which excites the green phosphor).

The normal trouble is that they require a significantly higher voltage, and cannot be made to run on 120V mains. They also have a significantly shorter life. I've never seen a 50V one.

There are also green neon indicators which have a regular orange neon on them, and generate a very disappointing dim brown light when lit and viewed through the green lense.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There's no way to make a green neon.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, OK! I think he knew what I meant...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Add krypton to the neon gas inside. Technically, it's no longer a neon, I know, but it works the same way.

Reply to
John Williamson